electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a load of problems with my triton hawaii 2 shower, after replacing both tco's and rewiring it etc i finally gave up. Soo my mrs has seen a new shower, But my question is will i be able to use it ? my existing shower is 8.5kw the one were thinking of buying is 9.5kw what i need to know is will i be able to do a direct replacement or is 9.5kw too high for my existing cable etc the breaker thingy in the rcd box whatever its called is a 32 if that makes sense, the practical side of replacing the shower isn't a problem i have replaced many in the past and recently but i have always replaced like for like so not sure if i can go up to 9.5kw
any help would be greatly appreciated on this
thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
No, you will have to replace the 32A MCB (miniature circuit breaker) with one rated at 40A.
Actually 32 is a bit low for the present shower but as they are not used for very long you may have been 'getting away with it'.

However you must have someone who knows ensure that the existing cable is suitable before anything is changed.

You will require to increase the size of the protective device (MCB) to that of what the manufacturers instruction of the shower you purchase recommend.
This could be 40A, 45A or 50A.
You said you have had new cable installed, do you know the size of this cable and whether there are any de-rating factors that should be calculated in? Such as thermal insulation, trunking/conduit at any part of the cables route, also length of cable could possible by a factor if greater than 37m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back