Electric Shower removed - how to modify consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just had an electric shower removed and a thermostatic shower put in its place.

Currently, I have just switched off the MCB for the shower circuit to make the circuit dead.

How do I go about replacing the MCB with a blanking plate to permanently kill this circuit?

Should I even be going near this job as I'm in no way a sparky? Will the power to the MCB still be live even if I kill all power using the main power switch on the consumer unit?

I have no issue in being told I need a sparky to do it if thats the case! Just want to check first, as its obviously a tiny job overall!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Its a "Contactum" consumer unit. Its fitted with an RCCB only as far as I can see. The MCBs say "Geyer" on the front.

If you are not familiar with the inside of the consumer unit I would leave it well alone - particularly if there is no means of totally isolating the power to the cu. Just turning the power off at the consumer unit main switch will not totally isolate all the cables inside the cu itself.
Your electric shower should have had an isolator switch normally a pull switch in the ceiling or a rocker switch on the wall.
If you still have the cable from this switch to shower installed I would remove this on the load side but leave the supply side connected.

If you consider this to be outside your knowledge or experience then I would get an electrician in to remove all or part of the circuit as suggested above.

Sponsored Links
Thats great riveralt thanks for your advice. There was indeed an isolator switch but that was removed during bathroom refit. I'll just leave it switched off for now, then get an electrician in to make the circuit fully safe.

Thanks again.

If you are able to do this, fitting a large junction box on the end of cable would be safe way to leave the wiring until it gets disconnected properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back