Electric shower stopped whilst kettle boiling

So I experimented with the shower and turned on the kitchen mixer tap. When turning the tap on, the shower flow decreases somewhat and the temperature goes up, but it is nothing like this morning, as there is still a proper flow. I still think this morning the flow looked like the trickle when switching the unit off.
I guess if it is safe I should experiment now with a high electric load (e.g. kettle or induction hob). Is it safe to try this?

Sponsored Links
If your shower is working ,you don't really need to experiment any further ,just continue to use it as usual. If there is an ongoing issue it will re surface ,and you can address it then. There isn't much point trying to identify a fault ,whilst everything is actually working as it should.

It may just be that your supply had problems at that time - there may have been some works going on down the road that have now finished.
The design of the shower should cope with it, disabling itself to reduce the possibility of harm, wont help if you just got a nice lather on your head though. :)

Sponsored Links
Filling a kettle or in fact any other drawing of cold water, will cause the cold water pressure to fall. If an modern electric shower is in use at the time, then the shower has built in detection of low pressure and will cut itself off. All quite normal.

UPDATE: The shower just cut out again. This time without any kettle being boiled, so no extra electrical load or any taps running.
I guess it means the shower is at fault (in winter of course, just after the old boiler packing up in late February!).

So what do I do now, replace the shower or try a cheap repair of some kind (thermal cut-out?).

Ideally I'd drop the electric shower and run one of the new combi-boiler. But the complication is, the bath taps are at the other end, so there is not any hot water pipe right where the shower currently is, and it does not look like there is enough space to bring a pipe up on this side of the bath (the electric shower's cold feed appears in the middle of the back wall out of tiles). The other side of the bath is not against a wall but there is a boxed-in section of about 35cms to the outside wall (and a window). I could perhaps install the shower on the side wall, but then I don't know what to do for a bath shower screen (is there such a thing as a big L running across the bath and then she side of the tub facing the room??). Or I'd need to move/change the bathtub towards the outside wall with the window, but this would be a major job which wouldn't want to attempt by myself. Getting someone in for this would be difficult on short notice I guess (now lockdown, soon tier 3)...

Triton enrich 8.5 kw around 50 quid, just fit a new one , not worth faffing about with.

UPDATE: The shower just cut out again. This time without any kettle being boiled, so no extra electrical load or any taps running.
I guess it means the shower is at fault (in winter of course, just after the old boiler packing up in late February!).

Check there is enough flow out of the shower, is the flexible pipe or the head blocked with limescale? Perhaps the shower itself is becoming choked with limescale. Soaking in citric acid/ lemon juice/ white vinegar will quickly dissolve limescale.

[EDIT] The usually have a filter on the water input, to catch debris - check the filter is clear.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back