Electric shower fault diagnosis assistance please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm the proud (!) owner of a Triton Sambada electric shower. It was here when I started living here and has worked fine for the past year. No MCB trips or other common issues.

This morning I went to go shower and it wouldn't switch on. The power neon doesn't light up at all at any power setting, and there are no other sounds or lights.
I checked the CU, no trips. I pressed the RCCB test, successfully tripped so I switched the main switch on again.
I then checked the shower isolating switch (which is on the wall in the cupboard behind the bathroom), nothing obviously wrong, still switched on.
I then decided to confirm supply was getting to the shower, so I got my meter out and took the cover off.

I'd like help interpreting my findings though, so I can know whether I need to replace the shower or if there is a cheaper fix; I replaced the solenoid on a different Triton in the past so I'm aware there are one or two cheap fixes if only parts are considered.

Here are a few photos, I'm not sure how to interpret them. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
One of your shots seems to suggest 243 between neutral and earth terminal.

With only 27 volts on live to neutral the fault is definitely (??) in the power feed line.

I suggest you've lost your neutral connection somewhere, either at CU or more probably at the local isolation switch.

As Jakrea said, the neutral is open circuit somewhere between the terminal in the shower and the neutral bar in the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Does the shower have an isolator anywhere?

As has been said, your neutral has gone open circuit somewhere along the line.

Wot they said... ;)

I'd bet it's the switch, not the unit.

Thanks for the advice guys, exactly what I needed.
As suggested, it was an open neutral - crappy isolator switch had melted at the back a bit, likely due to dodgy wiring in the first place.

Got a new switch for £4 at the local electrical wholesaler, fitted it and all is good - working shower again!

Once again, thanks a lot.

@HERTSDRAINAGE2010: I understand that for a lot of people the best answer to these kinds of threads is "hire an electrician" or "just buy a new unit", but I'm glad some people took me seriously because it very much helped me out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back