ELECTRIC SHOWER with more kw , any benefits really?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present have a Gainsborough 2000x 9.5kw shower , supply is ok but not great , would there be any real benefit in fitting a 10.5kw,would this give more pressure? cable is about 8mtrs long and a 10mm to a 60amp rcd.

Sponsored Links
You need to post this on electric forum. Not sure about cable size and lengths. If this does need upgrading, then may be worth moving beyond 10.5kW.

If doesn't need a rewire for 10.5, then everylittle extra helps I suppose. You need to find the flow rate specifications to determine whether the upgrade is worth it.

If you're 100% certain the cable is 10mmsq then it will, in theory, happily take the load of a 10.5kW shower if the installation method is clipped direct. In fact, I expect (but haven't checked) that it would be fine with most installation methods other than if covered entirely in thermal insulation material.

I'm slightly concerned about the 60A RCD, there should be an MCB or fuse protecting the shower circuit in addition to this, as the RCD provides no overcurrent protection. You need to make this your first point of call.

As to whether or not the upgrade from 9.5 to 10.5kW will make a noticeable difference... probably no more than cleaning out and descaling the existing shower. If your mains water supply pressure itself is low then it will make little/no difference what size shower you fit.

waste of money, you won't notice a 10% increase in flow.
pressure will be the same for any shower installed

Sponsored Links
I use a 27kw gas powered shower and yes far better than electric but I have good water pressure. Plus of course drain has to be big enough.
If stored hot water is available then you can pump but you can't pump from a instant heat boiler.
As to 9.5kw to 10.5kw well you may get a bigger dribble but it will still only be a dribble.
Even with 27kw I still notice a drop in pressure in the winter as less cold water is added to get correct temperature and this must be even more noticeable with electric instant heated showers and of course size of shower head will make big difference with my shower it is not big enough to use side spray system I can only have a single shower head.
To use a proper shower with side jets you need around 36kw or stored water system.
If the jobs worth doing it's worth doing well.

Why fitting a higher power instantaneous electric heater will NOT result in higher flow rate for equivalent temperature.

You implied it.

Yes, the incoming pressure will be the same.

When we talk pressure WRT electric showers though, we are talking pressure at the shower head. The pressure at which the water hits ones body. :rolleyes:

i implied nothing, i clearly stated that there is 10% increase in FLOW, and that it is not enough to notice.

to talk about the pressure at the shower head is nonsense as that depends on how far you open the flow restrictor, and that will again be the same for all showers; it is whatever is available at the inlet, minus a tiny internal loss, nothing to do with the wattage.
to heat the water at full flow, you would need the best part of 100kw if you had a proper water supply.

that depends on how far you open the flow restrictor, and that will again be the same for all showers; it is whatever is available at the inlet, minus a tiny internal loss, nothing to do with the wattage.
Not so - a higher wattage shower will support a higher flow rate for the same output temperature.

I agree that when going from 9k5 to 10k5 you probably wouldn't notice any difference, but a small difference would be there.

Going from a 7kW to a 10.5+kW would make a noticeable difference though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back