Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just replaced a shower PRD for someone and everything is good. What bothers me is that the shower still runs when the consumer unit is fully turned off.

Their is no heat but I would have thought a shower would need juice for the pump to pump the water out at the pressure it does, well mine does. Is this not the case?

I would rather ask the question and be told I am wrong and the shower will work without juice than something going wrong and the person either ends up hurt or dead because some cowboy has wired it wrong or something.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is no pump in a (usual) electric shower; just the water pressure.

They usually have a solenoid to 'switch on' the water.
I'm not sure if any just have a manual switch.

What model shower is it?

I wouldn't think this is connected to anything you have done in replacing the prd.

There is no pump in a (usual) electric shower; just the water pressure.

They usually have a solenoid to 'switch on' the water.
I'm not sure if any just have a manual switch.

What model shower is it?

I wouldn't think this is connected to anything you have done in replacing the prd.

Thank you for the reply mate

The shower is a Gainsborough 9.5 cse

It does have a start/stop button so shouldn't run when off.

I see the start/stop valve is right behind the PRD. Has it got jammed somehow?

Sponsored Links
It does have a start/stop button so shouldn't run when off.

I see the start/stop valve is right behind the PRD. Has it got jammed somehow?

I can turn the shower on and off just fine with the actual shower, be it with the front case on or off. What is worrying me is with the whole electric shut down in the house from the consumer unit with nothing electrical supposed to work it does still pump out water.

The water does not heat up but it still pumps out.

Thanks

Does the valve behind the PRV go up and down when you press the button on and off?

Not quite sure what you mean at the moment. Is it behind the actual PRV? I am not their at the moment will be going back tonight so will have a look. From what I remember their is nothing behind the PRV tube

Am I looking at the right one? This is what came up when Googled:

If not, it won't be a million miles away.

upload_2017-8-25_19-30-42.png

I can turn the shower on and off just fine with the actual shower, be it with the front case on or off.
Normal operation on the cheap Gainsboroughs. They are designed to be as cheap as possible, and the whole insides are a single non-repairable piece referred to as the 'shower engine'.
The on/off switch activates a mechanical valve which allows water to flow. This does not require power so will still operate with power disconnected.

I would have thought a shower would need juice for the pump to pump the water out at the pressure it does, well mine does. Is this not the case?

Not on an electric shower.

no pump.

the knob operates a valve, or tap, connected to the water supply.

when you open the tap, water runs out.

You can also get shower pumps that use hot water from a cylinder and squirt it through a mixer. They're not the same as the one you have here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back