Electric showers in Spain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me if an electric shower (Mira Sport) would work in Spain? I have one here which I'd like to take over and fit.
TIA, NeilC

Sponsored Links
should do it's still 230 over there right?

as long as you abide by the local wiring regs ( larf... ) then I don't see any reason why not..

I contacted Mira a while back and they said they wouldn't guarantee it in another country. They don't sell them in Spain could it be because of the lack of earthing there? I can see no reason apart from that not to fit one providing I hammer in a hefty earth rod. What d'ya reckon.

Further to the above I've just come across this on a website:

"The actual voltage tends to be over 230V, whereas in Spain it is usually well under, and can be as low as 206V.
The capacity ("potencia") which is controlled by a trip in your main circuit breaker box. Common potencias are 3.3Kw, 5.5Kw and 8.8Kw."

I'm having my 'potencia' upgraded, what to I don't know yet as I haven't been given the costing figures yet (the standing charge goes up with the increase).

Sponsored Links
Installation of earth rods should not be undertaken without all of:

1: a proper understanding of earthing systems and thier potential issues
2: a proper understanding of local electrical regulations (if any)
3: a proper understanding of the existing installation and how it is protected.
4: sufficiant test equipment to check the rods connection to the ground

What is the current state of the wiring in this property? how is it earthed? (if at all) is there rcd protection? if so on what circuits? can you provide pictures of the intake, consumer unit (or whatever the local equivilent of one is) and so on.

You'd want to check the local regulations. Outside of the UK and Ireland, most electrical inspectors would fall over in shock if you suggested installing a 32Amp circuit IN a shower cubical

I have never seen a British/Irish style electric shower unit used outside of those countries.

I have a suspicion that they may be illegal under Spanish regs.

Reply to old post- but this may help others who like me will go back awhile in threads to expand their knowledge;-
I live half my time in our spanish home and have also never seen a uk instantaneous type shower i.e. 7-10kw. There's a good reason and its not electric standards thats the basis-its the tariff. Most people are on 3.3kw or 5.5kw tariff( the higher the number the higher the basic charges) That's ridiculously low compared to the uk. There is a higher tariff but in essence there's rarely anything in a spanish domestic house greater than 3 kw. My biggest kw draw is the aircon and while it is on the lights dim when the elec kettle is switchen on. I have lots of elec appliances( we had 4 skts when house bought and now have about 40) and have uprated from 3 to 5 kw but still need to keep an eye on cosumption. Note that these figures mean that it is the max drawable power for the whole house and is controlled by a lockwired 15Amp or 25Amp trip usually.

Most of what Billibuoy posted is correct but the max consumption for any single domestic item is 5750W unless a projecto is presented.

Single phase supplies are also limited to 63A and most of the older apartments and houses are rated at 15A or 25A

Where as any new dwellings or legal modifications since the 18th of September 2003 would be rated at either 25A or 40A.

I have never seen a British/Irish style electric shower unit used outside of those countries.

You've not been to Malaysia then. Admittedly the ones there are locally made and are generally only rated at 3kW. Bearing in mind the tropical temperatures that is enough.

Sponsored Links
Back