Electric socket back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I get 25mm deep plastic back boxes?

Whilst my living room is striped of plaster to bare brick, Im wanting to fit ethernet sockets on the walls. I have the RJ45 faceplates...

31PF5ny8WQL.jpg

I purchased additional 25mm metal back boxes for the R45 faceplates, which match the existing back boxes on my electric plug sockets. But the holes don't really line up correctly, meaning the faceplate is a bit wonky. Plastic back boxes fit them perfectly, but I can only find them in 32mm depths and they are usually advertised as surface boxes. These obviously stick out more than the 25mm boxes and I need them the same depth for when the room is plastered.

So can I get 25mm deep plastic back boxes, or are there alternative methods?

Sponsored Links
Well you'd normally use a metal one to plaster round, one lug is normally adjustable to prevent wonky sockets

Sponsored Links
I purchased additional 25mm metal back boxes for the R45 faceplates, which match the existing back boxes on my electric plug sockets. But the holes don't really line up correctly, meaning the faceplate is a bit wonky.

Normally ome or other of the screw holes can be moved up and down until it is horizontal.

Suppose in theory you could use those as back boxes. But almost guaranteed they'll crack when you screw them to a non-flat surface.

What's the problem with galvanised back boxes and chisel the wall out a bit more so the front is on the same line as your existing?

And the holes do line up correctly, every galv box I've come across (EXCEPT the 2 x 1 gang ones) one of the screw holes has about 4mm of vertical play (so if the back box isn't quite level you can compensate). Your plastic backboxes don't have that feature......

EDIT beaten to it twice!

No reason a flush metal box won't accept your faceplate.

Is the adjustable lug perhaps stuck in position with plaster?

Or do the threads on the lugs need re-threading?

You shouldn't be having trouble with these.

But the holes don't really line up correctly

What exactly do you mean by that?

These are the face plates and back boxes I have...

IMG_0273_zpsvbnv8m2a.jpg

IMG_0271_zpsvvvpcui6.jpg

On the rear of the faceplates there are quite a few plastic lugs next to the screw holes.

a2b9c8e6-3845-41c6-bbc4-372264c939f2_zpsdovq5lfz.jpg

These lugs mean that the faceplate doesn't fit flush, and the holes don't quite line up correctly. The face plate rocks and wobbles and even when screwed to the bak box tightly it doesn't sit flush. Ive tried snipping away at the lugs but its a fiddly job. The faceplates fit the plastic back boxes perfectly, but id rather use the metal ones. Maybe they aren't designed to fit metal back boxes, maybe I need to try different faceplates?

Once your metal boxes are plastered in to the wall such that the box is 'flush' you'll find that the faceplates will sit nicely. Once the box is flush with the wall those lugs will hit nowt.

Back in the good old days we had to work out simple solutions for ourselves.

OK, let's try and be gentle.
You have a few sticky out plastic lugs that are getting in the way.
Those lugs have no function.

Have you never seen one of these:rolleyes:

VA500.JPG

EDIT: Having re-read the above. And it has been mentioned... Using plastic back boxes is going to be really difficult as you will have to get them EXACTLY square set into the wall as there is no moveable adjustment lug on the plastic box.

Personally I would throw those sockets in the bin and get some decent ones, per EFLI's picture.

Once your metal boxes are plastered in to the wall such that the box is 'flush' you'll find that the faceplates will sit nicely. Once the box is flush with the wall those lugs will hit nowt.

Well that does make sense. I guess I'd just need to snip off these lugs on the side of the faceplate, so they don't dig into the plaster. They seem to be there to locate inside the plastic back boxes.

17b7bfb8-1117-44de-9b51-7d01a50719b5_zps5lf91f5p.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back