Electric socket needs to be fitted in kitchen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a rented house pre-xmas.
Just had a word with landlord/lady about extra sockets in kitchen.
Brought it up in conversation rather nicely-as they are friends of mine!
The kitchen is about 10" by 6",which is small but I still need to house all my 'bits' in there!
Got Fridge freezer,washer,dryer,kettle,microwave and even cooker ignition to plug in + others I cant fit in there like toaster etc (and the dishwasher - it will have to go! :( unless i swap it for the dryer!)
So 6 things to plug in and only 1 double socket!
The whole place is running on extensions and is cluttered!
These are main electric appliances and obviously I want them all neatly plugged into wallsockets.
I am in the process of taking the mis-matched un-professionally placed tiles off the wall (ok with landlord)
So......while I was doing that I thought I'd mention to them about the electric prob!
Once the tiles are off they will sort out an electrician to come (I'm sure they don't have to do this and if I rented off a stranger it would be tough on me ... rented as seen so to speak!)
Therefore....what work will this entail as I would need a low double socket for washer and dryer and also 2 double sockets above worktop (which isn't on yet!) for micro,kettle etc.
The existing double socket is placed behind the tall fridge freezer and would be used for that and a lamp (instead of trailing extensions coming from it!)
Will the electrician be accountable for neatly covering over his tracks before I wallpaper (tiles are not being replaced where electrics are needed)

Thanks,

Sharon x

Sponsored Links
madonnafan said:
Will the electrician be accountable for neatly covering over his tracks before I wallpaper (tiles are not being replaced where electrics are needed)

Most electricians are not plasterers, so you will probably need to make other arrangments.

Make sure you engage a sparky who can self certify, cheaper in the long run.

This could be an expensive fix. It all depends on many things, not least the age and condition of the existing installation and access to the consumer unit. The only way to find out is to get an electrician in to quote for the job and explain why it is several hundred pounds more expensive than you thought it might be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back