Electric Storage Heaters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a cottage that has no heating installed and doesn't have gas, does anyone here have any experience of Storage Heaters on Economy 7 or 10? I was wondering if they are efficient and economical and also if anyone has any idea how much it would cost to get installed?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I used to have storage heaters in our old flat and I thought they were ****! If I were you I would find out about having LPG plumbed in as I think you would benefit in the long run.

Had storage heaters in two places I rented while working away from home a couple of years back.
They warm the house up lovely during the night in winter when you are under a duvet and dont need it, and when you get home from work at 4.30/5.00 you freeze ya b+++s off 'cos the heats dissipated while you are out, biggest con going, stay clear.

I once installed two storage heaters, one in the hall and one in the lounge.
They were a bit bulky and if it was a warm day you couldn't turn them down.
To overcome some of the problems I had the following tarrifs 11pm to 7am together with 7 pm to 11 pm and a afternoon booster 2pm to 4pm.
Fairly cheap to install and run! but this was back in the 'sixties
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
mandate you are showing your age :LOL:

as every one says steer clear of them , they work by "kettle elements" heating up special bricks, as the bricks will be hot you can not turn the out put down, and what if you get a power cut?

The lpg option I think may be the answer. Most boilers can use LPG and work just as well.

Breezer,
Age? What's age.
I think I was only 5+ at the time( I was quick to learn)'

If you got a power cut they took over a day to cool down so No Problem, mind you this was on the sunny south coast where it's 3 degrees warmer than Old Trafford.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have you not got gas in the road? If you have, I would say your best option in the long term is to get it laid to the cottage. It doesn't cost as much as you'd think; though the boards (electricity and gas) have strange pricing methods, but it's well worth getting a quote. I know someone who recently got it from the road to the property. It was about a 12-15 metre run, tarmac path and road and it cost under £400.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back