Electric towel radiator install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have decided to reinstate an electric only radiator into ensuite. When we bought house a couple of years ago it had connections in place but electric radiator removed. I took off fuse spur plate terminated wiring ends and fitted cover plate. Now I have the carpet up to sort plumbing I have full access to electrics and I want to reinstate with timer el2ctric towel radiator and remove CH radiator currently in place.
The plate is fed from a socket ring on a 30amp RCD with 1.5mm t & e. I have had CU professionally upgraded and earth wiring by qualified electrician. This wire can only be a few years old on closed inspection. There is the cut off remains of a white 1.5 insulated wire which would have fed radiator under floor boards and into wall chase.
Can I reinstate connection at socket for spur using same cable install 3 amp spur and reinstate new white insulate wire to plate from wall? Seems obvious but just checking

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for reply. Something like this https://adax-solaire.co.uk/product/chrome-remote-controlled-towel-rails-thermostatic-electric-the-bray-curved IPX4 rated 300-600w.
The ensuite has a very ugly half radiator and we are changing layout of en suite. I understand what you mean, however we have a 1 pipe CH system which we is totally inadequate for our 5 bed house plus annex and I need to add a radiator to landing so removing bathroom one seems to make sense. If I had the cash then the CH system would be ripped out asap

Just to bear in mind, that a 'towel warmer' is designed just to warm towels, and not to heat the room. As a rule of thumb, a towel warmer will emit about one third of the heat emitted by a single radiator of the same size, and that's before its output is reduced further by covering it in fluffy insulating towels. So unless your en suite is particularly warm already and doesn't need much additional heat, you may find you need to keep the central heating radiator as well. If you are tight on space the towel warmer can often be positioned above one end of a bath.

chivers 67 idea is a good one too, electric heating costs about 3 times that of gas, and 2 times that of oil, so it would be uneconomical to have your central heating running and then use electricity for the towel warmer. The dual fuel option allows you to just heat it electrically when the boiler isn't on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, makes sense when I think about it and installing a dual fuel radiator. I assuming you would buy a standard towel radiator and them convert us in something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/towel-radiator-element-400w/88595. To answer the electrical part of my question would the current set up be adequate to install the dual fuel element through a Crabtree Instinct 20A Unswitched Flex Outlet Plate White and a 3 amp fused spur back to the socket ring
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back