Electric Vehicle charger installation

On the first page of this thread :-
Looking at page 3 first column If an EV cannot be charged inside the building, then the building's PME earth should not be used; So yes TN-S is fine but TN-C-S is not. How one can be certain the supply is TN-S and will never be changed to TN-C-S I don't know. One would need a letter from the DNO saying it was TN-S as the combining may be further back to where one can see.

Think this was from me. The quote was from the IET publication "Wiring Matters" but as to if that is official view is something else. I see personally a big difference between domestic and public in the main because with domestic bonded items from two independent earthing systems may be touched together.

I have worked with insulated return vehicles and rarely is the body really insulated in the main carbon dust in the starter will result in the body being connected to the negative although a current limit would apply. With internal combustion engine and electric combined then to insulate would require special starters on the engine and some way to ensure a standard starter never replaces the special one.

Also one would have to recall all vehicles already made and convert them to class II. We know that can't really happen as it would involve far too much to convert the likes of old Bedford CF electric vans which may not at the moment be on the road or registered.

Electric vehicles are not new the milk float was around when I was a boy and to convert these would not be easy. But originally the charger was static which would seem a better option however it required the vehicle to be charged with that charger only with 230v system built into the car there is an option to charge it anywhere.

Maybe what is required is some variant to the old ELCB-v able to isolated supply if the two earth systems vary by a pre-set amount? Not instead of the ELCB-c but as an as well as the ELCB-c. But this would require the manufacture of a new device.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back