Electrical checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a request to have the electrics checked on my house prior to sale.

There are a couple of concerns.

There are two outside lights fitted (with PIR) and these are plugged into a garage socket (with a PIR). The wires are not in conduit. They were installed in 2000.

The garage lights 5 flourecent tubes (40 watt) which feed off the old single light socket which has been replaced with a junction box feeding the lights.

All were installed in 2000 and I realise they are not up to current standards

Should I be concerned about these?

Steve

Sponsored Links
So long as the cable to the external lights is suitable to be used outside, its perfectly fine. If its not, its a trivial task to replace the cable with some HiTuf or similar.

Nothing wrong with the garage lights either from what you say.

Hi

I have had a request to have the electrics checked on my house prior to sale.

Steve

That is normally up to the buyer to do not you. He gets a survey done and asks to especially check the electrics.

Just because things do not comply with current regulations, does not mean that anything needs to be done.

Sponsored Links
There are two outside lights fitted (with PIR) and these are plugged into a garage socket (with a PIR). The wires are not in conduit. They were installed in 2000.
Although not particularly great method, the only real concern would be the suitability of the cable for the external environment, if indeed they are open to the external environment and if the cable is of a type that should be attached to a plug. If in doubt simple fix is remove the lights/cut the cable.
The garage lights 5 flourecent tubes (40 watt) which feed off the old single light socket which has been replaced with a junction box feeding the lights.
Are you saying the switch has been replaced by a junction box, therefore they cannot be switched?

Are you saying the switch has been replaced by a junction box, therefore they cannot be switched?

No the ceiling rose has a junction box from which two lights are connected and also to a further box on the ceiling from which the other lights are connected.

Also I noticed that there is no earth connection fitted to the lighting circuit. House was built 1961

Steve

earth in lighting circuits was added later and as previously said if it was up to the standards of the time then it is acceptable, 17th edition doesn't apply to previously existing installations of the regs coming into force. the problems come when alterations are to be made or metal fittings are used. If you wish to add or alter any circuits they have to be done to the current standards. House wiring has an approximate life according to the regs of 30 years but no one ever rewires a house after 30 years - they should be inspected at this point and only if the wiring was showing defects would most people even think of doing so. So as for you house wiring being inspected as long as it met the regs at the date of the inspection then they are acceptable a buyer may use the age of the wiring to negotiate a discount up to you if you wish to give it.

In the days of rubber wiring I agree it has a limited life. But modern PVC wiring seems to last a lot longer than 30 years.

That is normally up to the buyer to do not you. He gets a survey done and asks to especially check the electrics.
Don't surveyors just stick a standard paragraph in saying "the electrics should be checked" as a CYA exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back