Electrical Connections for Electric UFH

One key difference is that wet systems are inherently self limiting - the floor (and any component of it) cannot get above the temperature of the water going in .... With electric, if a "powerful" system is installed, then it's possible for the floor or elements of it to get too hot ....
I have a feeling that my feet might also decide that it was 'too hot' if the floor managed to get up to the temperature of the water in the incoming CH pipes!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
How old is the house?
The extension is quite new, and insulated.
The basic problem sounds like lack of insulation, not lack of UFH.
OK smarta**e, could you explain the laws of physics that will make adding insulation cause a floor to heat up ? And I mean, above the mean temperature of the boundary layer of cold air that's immediately above it ?
You seem to be making the same mistake that so many clueless fu**wits make in thinking that insulation will somehow make a large concrete slab covered with a layer of cold air warm up above the temperature of that air.

And the idea that UFH is to make the surface warm, and has nothing to do with heating the room(s).
Not quite. I like warm floors, but as has already discussed that may not be enough to heat the rest of the room - especially for softies like me who like carpets on the floor. Lets face it, all heating is pretty well just for comfort - so the obvious endpoint of your arguments seems to be that we need no heating, just lots of woolly layers :p

The main limitations are how well the floor radiates heat wrt what the maximum temperature of the surface can be
Indeed
and the thermal mass of the floor
I rather think that doesn't much affect the mount of heat you can get out - only the speed of heating up and how well it can be controlled.
Perhaps you could lag your radiators while you're at it.
Why would I put carpet on the radiators, I don't walk on them. You seem to have some difficulty understanding the difference between something you don't walk on and which has the sole function of heating the room, and something that that is designed for walking on and people's desire for that to be comfortable underfoot - for whatever any individual decides is "comfortable".
Clearly some people like hard floors covered in laminate, I don't. Does that make it "wrong" to like laminate because I don't like it ? No it doesn't. And it doesn't make it "wrong" for me to like nice soft carpeted floors. So it shouldn't make it "wrong" in your mind for me to like both warm floors and carpets - I'm not trying to tell you how to heat your house :whistle:

As an analogy, we have multiple sources of light in most rooms which we use according to our preferences at the time. Applying your argument, we should have nothing but the single big bulb hanging in the middle of the ceiling - because that's all that's needed to functionally light the room. We shouldn't have some nice table lamps, and we definitely shouldn't have any shades on them - after all, why would be use the optical equivalent of lagging on the lights :p

I have a feeling that my feet might also decide that it was 'too hot' if the floor managed to get up to the temperature of the water in the incoming CH pipes!
That's why the UFH manifold has a blending valve (thermostatic mixer) and often there's a thermostat as well to switch off the pump (and stop the water flowing) if it fails to regulate the temperature properly. The basic arrangement is that the pump circulates water round the UFH pipes, and the blending valve draws in as much hot water as is required to maintain the temperature of the circulating water.
Typical max temperatures are something like 35˚C for solid floors, I believe higher is allowed/recommended for situations such as alli spreader plates under a wooden floor.

What the hell happened to this thread?!

lengthy off-topic squabble removed
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back