Electrical Connections for Electric UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating the ground floor of my house and planning to install electric under floor heating throughout.

It will be broken down into 3 separate 'systems'

1) Lounge approx 2500W system
2) Hallway & WC approx 1000W system
3) Kitchen & Dining approx 2500W system

There are no slots left on my current consumer unit, so I will have to get a new 'extension' unit installed, and probably have an MCB per zone. I'll get an electrician in for this.

However I plan to renovate in stages, Lounge first, then the hallway, finally the kitchen/diner. While I am working in the ceiling space in the lounge I want to run all 3 cables for the UFH at once, so the ceilings don't have to be disturbed again. So I will have 3 cable runs sitting in the ceiling space from where I plan to site the consumer unit, to a wall box where the controllers for each UFH system will be. I figure 2.5mm cross sectional T+E should be sufficient (the longest run is 10 meters).

When I get an electrician round to do the new consumer unit when the lounge is ready, I'll want them to install the consumer unit and commission the lounge circuit for the UFH, but would they also be able to commission the other two circuits at the same time and leave them terminated behind blanking plates? I can then connect up the UFH in the other areas once it's ready, rather than having to call them out 3 times.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can only say that I hope you don’t expect that will warm the house.
Electric UFH is ok to keep your feet warm when you walk to the loo, but not so hot otherwise (scuse the pun)

Much better to have wet underfloor heating. Do you have gas/oil boiler?

I can only say that I hope you don’t expect that will warm the house.
Electric UFH is ok to keep your feet warm when you walk to the loo, but not so hot otherwise (scuse the pun)

Much better to have wet underfloor heating. Do you have gas/oil boiler?

Yeah, condensing combi for CH and DHW. I was tending towards electric for ease of installation - however thinking about it every area to be heated already has a radiator... how hard it is it to convert a radiator heated room to a wet UFH room? Can you use the existing supply pipework?

electric under floor heating throughout.
Assuming it actually manages to heat the room, it will cost 5x more than using gas.

every area to be heated already has a radiator.
Why bother with the UFH at all?

Can you use the existing supply pipework?
No. Or at least not by connecting the radiator pipes to pipes under the floor.
You will need a suitable manifold, pump and blending valve.
It also needs to be properly designed and installed, which includes insulating the floor - it's far from a trivial job.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it actually manages to heat the room, it will cost 5x more than using gas.

Why bother with the UFH at all?

Considering UFH because
  1. Whoever designed this house originally was a moron, the kitchen is already small but they then chose to put the radiator in the middle of one wall, meaning no cabinets can go on that wall so there is a grand total of ONE cupboard in the kitchen for a 3 bed family house. So the radiator in the kitchen needs to go to free up space for more units, UFH now seems to be the only option for this room.
  2. The layout of the Lounge and Dining rooms has changed due to moving a couple of internal walls, the radiators are no longer ideally positioned (end up with one hot end and one cold end of the rooms) so something has to be done there.
  3. I like it.
I'm unclear as to why electric is so considered to be so poor performing? The kits I've been looking at are spec'd at up to 200W per sq meter, and the output of the wet systems I've looked at is quoting around 150W per sqm.

Agreed that electric is more costly to run, but in terms of total cost of ownership I think it will take a long time to balance out. Given that I can do 90% of the work myself, the total cost of installing the entire 3-zone electric system, including the 20mm insulation boards across a total of 50sqm of ground floor will be less than £2000. I doubt a wet system would come in much less than 3 times that. It's going to take a great many years of running costs to off-set.

Electric is poor performing because most of it is just shoved on the floor and the tiles or whatever banged over the top - no insulation in the floor so a majority of the heat is lost.

Done properly with the required amount of insulation and screed over the heating cables it should perform as well as the wet type - but the installation costs for that would be similar to wet, with running costs of 5x more.

On further inspection wet UFH doesn't look too complex - especially with the newer easy installation options there is no need for screed http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/prowarm-25mm-floating-floor-panel

I've got an ideal place to break into the existing feed/return for the CH loop, couple of motorised valves, pump, manifold, controller... I reckon I could do it for £2500... worth investigating.

If you're putting a Radiator/UFH system onto a combi, can you just use the standard CH/HW S-Plan layout and use the HW section for the UFH?

Thanks folks!

The main problem with UFH, of any type, is hysteresis, it takes ages to warm up or cool down. This means it is often left on 24/7 which is utterly wasteful of energy.

I've got an ideal place to break into the existing feed/return for the CH loop, couple of motorised valves, pump, manifold, controller... I reckon I could do it for £2500... worth investigating.

If you're putting a Radiator/UFH system onto a combi, can you just use the standard CH/HW S-Plan layout and use the HW section for the UFH?
Depends on the boiler but yea you could do it like that, you’d want to break into the flow nearish to the boiler though - not after the CH zone valve

Whoever designed this house originally was a moron, the kitchen is already small but they then chose to put the radiator in the middle of one wall, meaning no cabinets can go on that wall so there is a grand total of ONE cupboard in the kitchen for a 3 bed family house. So the radiator in the kitchen needs to go to free up space for more units, UFH now seems to be the only option for this room.
I don't have any heating in my kitchen, apart from the cooker. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Whoever designed this house originally was a moron, the kitchen is already small but they then chose to put the radiator in the middle of one wall, meaning no cabinets can go on that wall so there is a grand total of ONE cupboard in the kitchen for a 3 bed family house. So the radiator in the kitchen needs to go to free up space for more units, UFH now seems to be the only option for this room.
For a kitchen another option is hydronic (*£($&#& I hate that word, but it's what they are called) kickspace heaters. Or dual fuel or straight electric. Yes the latter cost more to run, but they cost a lot less to install, and as you probably don't need anywhere near as much heating in a kitchen as you would in other rooms that size the break-even point might be years away.

We run a very small Dimplex XL6 storage heater in our kitchen... it's about 30cm wide and keeps the room 'warm enough'. I imagine a similar sized CH heater would do much the same.

... the kitchen is already small but they then chose to put the radiator in the middle of one wall, meaning ...
As mentioned, you can get what are effectively fan heaters that fit in the space underneath the cabinets - electric, wet, or combination.

I like it.
Which is as good a reason as any.
There's been an ongoing "conversation" with SWMBO. I like UFH, and when we looked at the house we've just moved into I commented that without UFH the kitchen floor (tiled concrete slab) is guaranteed to be cold - and also all those floors covered in laminate. "You and your underfloor heating" was the slightly sarcastic response. Not long after we moved in, I got a "not quit a complaint" comment about how cold the kitchen floor is :whistle:
We got a large rug for the lounge, but that's not really the answer for much of the other space that's got laminate flooring.

I'm unclear as to why electric is so considered to be so poor performing?
Probably because they are frequently mis-specced. I suspect a lot of people just stick them in because it's easy, and then find that it doesn't work very well. If done right, electric can work (almost) as well as wet - the main limitation being the amount of power that it's practical to put into the floor.
One key difference is that wet systems are inherently self limiting - the floor (and any component of it) cannot get above the temperature of the water going in, but at initial startup you can effectively put massive amounts of heat in subject to the capacity of the boiler (typically 30kW or more). With electric, if a "powerful" system is installed, then it's possible for the floor or elements of it to get too hot - especially if controlled off a room stat with no sensing element buried in the floor itself. So that really means you have to limit the power input possible to avoid, or at least mitigate, that risk.

Almost - I had to read that several times before I got what you meant, initially I thought you meant using the HW section of the combi :(
Fit a motorised valve in the feed to the existing heating run from the room stat(s) and wire it's microswitch to the boiler heating demand terminals. That's half of your S-Plan.
AIUI, the UFH controller is likely to have a dry contact for when it wants heat - you wire this in parallel with the motorised valve microswitch across the boiler demand terminals. If the UFH is not calling for heat, it'll shut it's valves and turn off it's pump - there should be no flow through it, and so you don't need a second motorised valve.
Done this way, the boiler will fire up in heating mode if either :
  • The room stat(s) call for heat from the rads, the valve opens, and it's switch is triggered.
  • The UFH controller calls for heat - it will run it's own pump, and control the valves for each circuit according to it's own stats.
A few other random thoughts :
The boiler may need a bypass valve. If the rads are off, and the UFH is on very low demand, then there may be insufficient flow for the boiler - it may have been setup with one rad that's never turned off (no TRV) as it's bypass. Some boilers have an internal bypass, many don't.

Depending on various factors, there may be times when the UFH is drawing a low of heat (flow) and it starves the rads of flow. The internal pump of the boiler will be pumping water round, but the UFH is drawing most/all of it and so little/none will flow through the rads. In extreme, it's possible to reverse the flow through the rads if the UFH draws more flow than the boiler pump is pumping. Some system design work is needed to work out if this is likely to be a problem.

Ideally, if the system is only supplying the UFH then you would want to turn down the boiler setpoint so it condenses better. This would need a boiler with a suitable interface (eg OpenTherm), and some integration with the other bits.

I have on and of been thinking about ways to combine UFH and rads - all under the control of electronic TRVs. The schemes I've come up with in my head have mostly been a case of a minimal UFH system per room - just the pump and blending valve with the minimum of plumbing needed - and tee the UFH feed and return into the rad pipe (either upstream or downstream of the rad).
The basic principle being that the TRV controls the water flow, the rad and UFH combine to heat the room, with the UFH being primarily for comfort. The UFH draws water from the hot feed before it gets to the rad, and returns it's return to a second tee between the first tee and the rad. So the UFH gets first bite at the hot water, then it goes through the rad. If the TRV has throttled the flow rate down, then the UFH may well reverse the flow in the section of pipe between the tees (but the rad will still be warm).
Another simpler scheme is to tee in after the rad, and simply pump that water round the UFH without a blending valve. In that case, the system would need to throttle back the flow rate if the rad return temp reaches the maximum permitted for the UFH system. There's less plumbing (no manifold, just a pump, some pipe, and two tees), and the floor will seldom be colder than the room - second worst case is the rad is throttled right back (warm room) and the water is "cold" (room temp) before it leaves the rad, worst case is rad shut down altogether so there's no warm water for the UFH (but that means the room is warm anyway).
Quickly adds up in complexity and cost - but avoids any problems with insufficient UFH output (especially when carpeted) or fighting between two sets of heating with different controls.

We got a large rug for the lounge, but that's not really the answer for much of the other space that's got laminate flooring.
Wood.

How old is the house? The basic problem sounds like lack of insulation, not lack of UFH. And the idea that UFH is to make the surface warm, and has nothing to do with heating the room(s).

If done right, electric can work (almost) as well as wet - the main limitation being the amount of power that it's practical to put into the floor.
The main limitations are how well the floor radiates heat wrt what the maximum temperature of the surface can be, and the thermal mass of the floor.

but avoids any problems with insufficient UFH output (especially when carpeted)
Great idea.

Perhaps you could lag your radiators while you're at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back