Electrical Cost in Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

First post on here hoping to get some idea of the cost of the electrical work on an extension we should be starting in a few weeks. Like everyone else there is a budget and while i'm handy in the DIY department so will be plaster boarding out and other bits I'm not touching the sparky bits with a barge pole.

So my conundrum is do I ask my electrician dad who is 64 this year to do it or pay privately. If privately isn't too expensive I would prefer to save my dad's health!

The job will be a kitchen rear extension 6m x 4m with requirement for 6 double sockets, 1 single and a cooker switch. Also 8 spot lights in vaulted ceiling. According to dad the Fuse board will be fine as he upgraded this a few years ago to cope with an extension.

So what do people think the cost will be? We live in Gloucestershire if that helps.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you fathers health is a concern and obviously the installation is not something you would be taking on.

The only option would be to hire an electrician, I guess your father is not registered with a scheme to be able to supervise the work and sign off.

So I would look at recommended electricians that are registered as competent.
Your existing fuse board/consumer unit will require spare ways either have RCD protection or can be fitted with RCBOs.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Regarding cost would this be labour only or supply and fix. If the latter it would depend on the spec you are requiring.
Also would you require RCBOs or just MCBs and what model is the board?

Thanks PrenticeBoyOfDerry, my dad is completely competent and has all required registrations etc but if it doesn't cost the earth I would prefer to use someone else to save my dad who while has offered and has no health issues it is a lot of work for him.

I have a couple of old school friends who I would probably use and they are self employed electricians.

So what do you think the around about cost could be?

Sponsored Links
Well if they are friends, they would tell you the cost better than I could.
If neither are registered as self certifying/notifying electricians then there would also be notification procedures and fees to consider.

Without knowing the spec of the job, I could not estimate the costs.

If standard plastic sockets/switches and standard compliant downlights.
RCBOs for each circuit.

You may have some change from £1500.00

Back