electrical plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me if you can change a 45 amp cooker switch (not needed anymore) with a double plug socket ? idea is to plug free standing cooker and chimney hood (wires chased in wall) into a double socket . is this possible ? or have i got to change the fuse in mains box ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
idea is to plug free standing cooker and chimney hood (wires chased in wall) into a double socket . is this possible ?
I guess you are taking about a spur from the double socket to the cooker hood.
It could well be an idea to install a fused connection unit and down fusing the rating between socket and hood. As the flex/cable on the hood may not be rated high enough and if not protected by a plug top fuse, it could be dangerous, assuming the fuse/breaker at you fuse box/consumer unit, is too higher rating.
Even though the cooker switch is rated at 45A, that does not mean the circuit is being protected by a 45A fuse/breaker, be useful to know.

can anyone tell me if you can change a 45 amp cooker switch (not needed anymore) with a double plug socket ? idea is to plug free standing cooker and chimney hood (wires chased in wall) into a double socket . is this possible ? or have i got to change the fuse in mains box ?

What rating is the free standing cooker? Most CANNOT be plugged into a 13 amp socket.

Why would you get rid of a cooker switch and plug in a freestanding cooker? I dont get it. What are you trying to accomplish?

In commercial kitchens it is quite common to plug cookers in but do you really want a socket like this
044_1002_NE02_NLP2332WS_medium.jpg
on your wall. There are some slightly neater versions but most people would not want to plug in a cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back