electrical pricing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know if I am being ripped off.

A sparky is going to run a cable from the fuse box along the wall to the garage into a 13 fuse box then
Connect to two lights, with on off switch, install two double sockets and connect to a security light on the garage.

Is price is £650 parts and labour.

I live in Norfolk.I point out I no nothing about electrics or the going rate.
Or perhaps I am being paranoid.

Can any one give me advice please.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's done well it doesn't sound like a 'rip-off'. How long do they think it will take? Are they supplying everything including the lights? (what kind of lights, out of interest?)

Sounds alright to me. It will be a lot more work than you think to do the job properly.

Sorry if I sound like a tight person, who wants something for nothing.
I was caught once by a builder, whom I have know for many years.Whos work has gone down hill (bodge it com) You get to the stage who do you trust.At the end of the day there is good honest tradesman out there.

Sponsored Links
Why not get another quote or two from recommended local electricians. Make sure they quote to the same specification as the first price you have then you'll get an idea if the price is reasonable.

Don't use the likes of mybuilder.com. These sites are populated by people who can't find work by recommendation.

I went on a Web site .Where they rate tradesman, where they pay a fee l/e tradesman that is £30 each time .The person who gave me is quote has emailed me every day so far.
Even come round to my house.I sounds like a quick job, payment in cash and gone into the sunset.

I do not know if I am being ripped off.

A sparky is going to run a cable from the fuse box along the wall to the garage into a 13 fuse box then
Connect to two lights, with on off switch, install two double sockets and connect to a security light on the garage.

Is price is £650 parts and labour.

I live in Norfolk.I point out I no nothing about electrics or the going rate.
Or perhaps I am being paranoid.

Can any one give me advice please.

Why another fuse box in the garage? So unnecessary. Sockets can be direct and lights via switched FCU.

... A sparky is going to run a cable from the fuse box along the wall to the garage into a 13 fuse box then ...
Why another fuse box in the garage? So unnecessary. Sockets can be direct and lights via switched FCU.
We really need to know what the proposed "13 fuse box" is, don't we? It may actually be an FCU.

Kind Regards, John

I went on a Web site .Where they rate tradesman, where they pay a fee l/e tradesman that is £30 each time .

IMO Using a web site where trades people pay to be a "member" is about the same as looking inYellow Pages. There are a number of threads re these on DIyNOT.COM, eg //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2025775
and Moneysavingexpert

will give you an insight into other's experiences.

Like many lists of tradespeople, there are good and bad eggs. As I posted above - it's better to get a recommendation from a friend/neighbour.

The quote I received £650.00 parts £150 and five hours work £500.00.
yes!! £100 ph.I think he lives on a funny farm.

You do understand that his hourly rate charged is not his hourly take home wage don't you? It'll be somewhere in the region of one fifth of that once he's paid all his business expenses.

You do understand that his hourly rate charged is not his hourly take home wage don't you? It'll be somewhere in the region of one fifth of that once he's paid all his business expenses.
Is take home pay and overheads has nothing to do with me.Thats the joys of being self
employed.I wish I could earn that, like every one else would like to as well £100.00ph

I do agree that quoting £100 per hour would be off-putting for customers.

Why he didn't just quote the figure, I don't know.

However, we here have no idea of the amount of work involved and what the job actually involves.
He may bring a mate and install conduit and do a really good job.

Or not.

He doesn't earn £100 per hour though, that is (or at least appears to be) his charge-out-rate, to cover all business expenses. He earns whatever is left after all business costs have been taken out of that.

For starters, in normal employment you get a statutory minimum of 28 days holiday, almost 6 weeks of 52, that's more than 10%.

Then there's things like:

Premises
Vehicle & fuel
Tools & equipment
Insurances
Trade body registration, qualifications renewal & further training costs
Administration & office costs
Surveying/quoting, invoicing, bookkeeping & accounting

...and many other things

5 hours seems very quick to do a good job wiring an outbuilding from scratch, so (again, assuming the job is done well) it would seem the electrician must be very good (and therefore worth more than someone who will take longer to do the same work). Presumably it doesn't cover the cost to come out and quote, or write-up & send certification, or other time spend on your job but not on-site.

Get another quote or two if you think the charges are high. Without a heap more information we can't say how good value or otherwise your current quote is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back