Electrical Safety Certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I live in Doncaster and I'm PXing my house for a new build, the builder what an electrical safety certificate for the wiring on my current property, my questions are as follows,

1. What I'm I asking for? (I believe it's a periodic inspection report I require)

2. How much will it cost?

3. Will an old installation pass this test? (Currently have 2 x lighting, 1 x ring main, 1 x shower circuits and very little or no earth bonding)

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Hozza

You are indeed right - you will need a periodic inspection report.

Cost - hmm - I'm down south, so not sure we can compare, but it is a small installation, so maybe £150?

As to whether it will pass? Equipotential bonding (both main and supplementary) will need to be put in place - this can be a small job or a nightmare depending on how easy access is. The tests undertaken will tell you more about the state of your cables such as, are they reaching the end of their useful life and require replacing. However, to only have one ring in a house sounds like it might be overloaded, especially if you have cooker, washing machine etc and it may be recommended to make more provision. If you have access to garden, any circuit/socket able to supply this should be RCD protected, as should shower, and you don't mention this.

Hope this is helpful

SB

Hozza

I have just had a PIR done for a house i am buying in Rotherham, i paid £150+vat.

Sounds like a similar installation with lights and sockets up and down on the same circuit.

Suffice to say it did not pass, no rcd protection on downstairs sockets. Overloaded circuits etc etc.

I am doing a re-wire but then it is going to be my house! Going to have some fun with Rotherham LABC.

Hope this helps, (house was built in 1968)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Doncaster eh? small world! whereabouts in doncaster? I'm in scawsby.

And if you do want to do any work yourself, Doncaster LABC have 2 registered sparks that they use to test and certify DIY work, they are doing things to the book ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back