Light Switch inside bathroom -Electrical Safety Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a standard (not the cord one) light switch inside bathroom, it is outside Zone 1 and 2.
Will this pass Electrical Safety Certification?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I have a standard (not the cord one) light switch inside bathroom, it is outside Zone 1 and 2.
Will this pass Electrical Safety Certification?

Thanks,
Not in this country standard switches are not installed inside a Bathroom

Not in this country standard switches are not installed inside a Bathroom

What makes you think that?

What do you think is the purpose of defining the zones (and the area Outside The Zones)?

What are you allowed to do in zone 1?

What are you allowed to do in zone 2?

What are you allowed to do outside the zones but within 3 metres of zone 1?

What are you allowed to do outside the zones and 3 metres or more from zone 1?

This is interesting
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjHzZPh3Y7rAhU5ZhUIHatrCukQFjAAegQIBBAC&url=https://electrical.theiet.org/media/1450/section-701.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2rUM11db5WCSQZ4EIDGCCQ

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. I guess it is best to get it replaced with a pull cord switch

As above, there are many light switches inside bathrooms. Most are fine. It really comes down to where it is in relation to the "wet stuff" - inside the zones would be a no-no unless of a waterproof type, but outside it comes down to a judgement as whether it's suitable for the environment.
Just by way of contrast, pull cord switches are not even splashproof - so basically the same as most wall switches. The differences are being cord operated (so hopefully an insulated linkage), and being mounted high up where you should be getting water splashed on it.
Without knwing all the details, no-one here can be certain. But what we can say is that it's generally OK. It will come down to a judgement of the inspector as to whether it's acceptable. If he says it isn't then he'll be able to put it in terms of "in my opinion ... unacceptable risk of splashing from ... see regulation <some reg number>" If he says "no wall mounted switches in bathrooms" then you can be 100% certain he doesn't know what he's talking about - sack him (then get someone competent in), and if he's a member of a scam ... err I mean scheme (NICEIC, Napit, etc) then report him to the scam ... err I mean scheme.

Just thinking out loud ... Is there anyone doing "splashproof" switches designed to match normal domestic accessories rather than going the "outdoor types that are nothing like them ? If so, then just changing the switch would be easier and neater in many situations that changing to a pull cord where there is a risk of splashing.

Why?

Is delmel your inspector?

If so, he is likely to be sacked soon for not knowing his job.
If you want to get out of the shower or bath then switch the light switch with all that moisture in the room and on you then go for it, why dont you put a metal one in and disconnect the earth. There is a reason you would rarely see a standard switch inside the bathroom and not a pull cord, best practise would be a pull cord or outside the bathroom altogether. John D have you put one in yours.

Last edited:
Poor delmel realises his first reply was incorrect, and has started inventing irrelevant nonsense to try to muddy the waters.

Let's hope he is not an inspector who tries to apply non-existent regulations from his own imagination.

As above, there are many light switches inside bathrooms. Most are fine. It really comes down to where it is in relation to the "wet stuff" - inside the zones would be a no-no unless of a waterproof type ....
Unless it's switching a SELV circuit, I don't think that even 'waterproof' switches are allowed in bathroom zones - at least, that's what 701.512.3 appears to say.

Outside of zones, I agree that, as you say, it's doen to common sense.
Just thinking out loud ... Is there anyone doing "splashproof" switches designed to match normal domestic accessories rather than going the "outdoor types that are nothing like them ?
I may be wrong, but I would personally have thought that 'normal domestic accessories' are, in fact, pretty 'splashproof', aren't they?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back