Electrical Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
many of you know that, i have followed strictly with my various handbooks and have re-wired the whole of my house. I had a person in, to connect up to my consumer unit, the meter tails, earth and all of the rings and raidials. he put his testing instrument across the consumer unit and performed various tests and said that all was good.

The above person was not able to give me a certificate for the electrical test as he isn't Part P reg.

I have since visited my electrical wholesaler, who states that because i have wired the house in the new colours, they would not be able to give me even an electrical test/check to say all is fine, or even a report. they stated that if i would have done this in the old colours they could of given me a period check because nobody would of known how long ago it was completed.

Given that i am selling my house and think i need some sort of report, how best would you advise me to proceed. I am aware that the test is more in depth than just checking at the CU, it will require earth leakage tests, trips at 30ms, continuity and a whole range of other tests that will take quite a while.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any good spark will be able to do you a periodic inspection report, how usful this will be to you I don't know, it will go someway towards proving to the buyer that even though building regs notification was skipped, that the wiring is not in a dodgy state, doing a PIR is outside of the remit of Part P so any spark, registered or not will do

can you do a periodic inspection report on a the harmonised colours, which have obviously been recently installed. i though PIR's only covered work done over 12 months ago.

andemz said:
can you do a periodic inspection report on a the harmonised colours, which have obviously been recently installed. i though PIR's only covered work done over 12 months ago.

Doesn't make the blind bit of difference, in actual fact from today onwards if you have the old colours it will be a code 4 as it doesn't strictly comply with BS7671 anymore(but only a spur wearing sparky would suggest that its a cause for remedial work)

Sponsored Links
Andemz, if you are selling your house you will be required to inform your buyers (via solicitors' enquiries) of any work completed during your occupancy. They will specifically ask if permissions (such as building regs approval) have been granted and if guarantees exist. If the work was completed prior to Jan 1st 2005 then all you need say is that you did it yourself and hope that your buyer is happy with that, although it might make sense to pay to have a proper Periodic Inspection Report carried out.

If the work was completed after that date and you have not informed Local Authority Building Control then you may hit snags. As well as potentially losing buyers, you may well find that the local authority want to know why you didn't notify the work.

Oh, and backing up what Adam has said, you could do a periodic on an installation that isn't even finished yet - it is simply a report on the condition of an existing installation, regardless of age.

dingbat said:
If the work was completed after that date and you have not informed Local Authority Building Control then you may hit snags. As well as potentially losing buyers, you may well find that the local authority want to know why you didn't notify the work.

I guess the answer of, "because its unsound legislation brought in under false pretences and flawed statistics which results in pointless additional costs, added to the fact that the attitudes adopted by many LABCs make notifing akin to swimming though treacle, and the fact that with so much work is not being notified that you are hardly going to stand out like a saw thumb", is probably going to go down like a whitehouse intern? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back