Electrical training question - scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Was looking for a little advice from Scottish electricians.

I am a gas engineer and have been looking into taking an electrical course to broaden my skillet.

I have looked into doing a course with olci in Livingston and just wanted to check a few things prior to booking to make sure I am not wasting my time.

They do two courses, a fully qualified electrictrician and a domestic installers course.

I am only really looking to do rewires, new boards etc. I have. Reasonably large customer base that are all domestic who I can target once I am qualified to do so.

I have a basic understanding of electrics and can wire a fully pumped system, understand cable sizes etc and am under no illusion that a course will turn me into a electrician overnight but I am prepared to work hard an learn.

I am lead to believe that on completion I can register with niceic then sign off work?

The domestic course gives you eal level 2 part p, 17th addition, fundamental inspection and testing 2392-10, in service inspection and testing 2377.

By completing this is that enough to qualify me to do rewires and boards and sign off work legally myself?

Or, should I do the full Nvq svq course?

There is about £2,000 differance in the cost. I don't mind saying the extra if I need to but as I am only wanting to do domestic if that course is enough then I'd happily save the £2000.

I do appreciate a lot o electricians don't rate these courses but all I really need is some honest advice please.

Thabks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Was looking for a little advice from Scottish electricians.
I am not Scottish, so ignore me if you wish!
am under no illusion that a course will turn me into a electrician overnight
Don't be under any illusion! As a gas engineer you will be aware of progression in learning and skill, and it all takes time, fast tracks don't work!
but I am prepared to work hard an learn.
good man
I am lead to believe that on completion I can register with niceic then sign off work?
contact niceic inform them of the course and qualification, then see if they will allow you to become a member of their scheme.
The domestic course gives you eal level 2 part p, 17th addition, fundamental inspection and testing 2392-10, in service inspection and testing 2377.
Over what period are these qualification attained?
Does 2392 still exists?

By completing this is that enough to qualify me to do rewires and boards and sign off work legally myself?
I would contact some of the domestic installer scheme providers and ask what qualification they require for you to be a member.
From April, I believe they are asking for NVQ qualifications.

Thank you for that.

I should have worded it electricians working in Scotland rather than sottish electricians.

Cheers.

Scotland doesn't have the same building regs as us hence Part P isn't applicable

Sponsored Links
They do have something to do with warrants however it is still pretty pointless learning about Part P if you only intend to work in Scotland

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back