Electrics myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to save costs on a house I'm renovating. It is in need of a rewire. I was looking at part p, and know that is needed. But then I stumbled across a couple of courses for which I could get certified....
http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/trad...26-electrical-installation-inspection-testing
http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/trades/Electrical/courses/1-partp-domestic-installers-course

Would this be enough or do I have to then pay anything extra on top to join any association or anything? I'm only doing this for my own home, not to do any business in it.

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links
You cannot self certify unless you are a member of a scheme such as NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT, ECA, BRE or another.

You can however notify the work to your LABC before you start, pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs.

for your own home, you notify the council, pay a fee and get on with it..

you don't need any qualifications ( but an understanding of cable sizes, common circuits and the regulations is essential.. )

should cost you in the region of £200-£300 quid ( depends on what your council charges.. )

as you are doing the house as a whole, it's probable that other parts of it will need to be notified and / or plans submitted.. so it could all be under the same notification etc..

just remember, when you come on here asking for advice, tell us that you've notified or you'll get 10 different people shouting about part P at you..

where in the UK are you? we might be able to provide more accurate info if we know..

To be able to sign work off yourself you will need to join a competent persons scheme (~£600, then ~£400 per year after that) and prove to your scheme assesor that you have the sufficient knowledge and competence to do so.

Oh and you'll also need about £1000 worth of calibrated test equipment.

Oh and public liability insurance.

Infact, here you go

The enterprise shall:
a. be directly engaged in domestic electrical installation work which shall all be designed, installed, inspected, tested and verified to a standard not less than that affording compliance with BS 7671 and Building Regulations; and

b. compile certification that is no less comprehensive than that detailed in BS 7671 for all domestic electrical installation work undertaken; and

c. hold and make available to the Registration Body, within 15 days of a request, records, as prescribed by the Registration Body, relating to domestic electrical installation work subject to Building Regulations; and

d. have the level of public liability insurance cover prescribed by the Registration Body for the range of domestic electrical installation work undertaken by the enterprise and make evidence of this available for inspection; and

e. have and make available for inspection sufficient domestic electrical installation work to enable an assessment to be completed; and

f. accept the extent of inspection decided by the Registration Body, based on the scale and geographical spread of domestic electrical installation work carried out by the enterprise; and

g. have test instruments as prescribed by the Registration Body appropriate to the range and scale of domestic electrical installation work carried out and maintain and record the accuracy and consistency of all test instruments used for certification purposes; and

h. provide documents, equipment, tools, test instruments, facilities and access to the Registration Body sufficient for assessment purposes; and

i. employ persons to carry out domestic electrical installation work who are competent and/or adequately supervised to ensure safety during and on completion of the work; and

j. have sufficient persons, compliant with Rule 1.3, who will be proposed by the enterprise, assessed by the Registration Body and, if acceptable, have their role confirmed by the Registration Body as ‘Qualified Supervisor(s)’. All domestic electrical installation work shall be under the control of one or more Qualified Supervisors; and

k. maintain and make available for inspection a record of:
(i) complaints they receive about their domestic electrical installation work not complying with Building Regulations; and
(ii) remedial action, if any, taken to resolve complaints received; and

l. have a written health and safety policy statement and carry out risk assessments as appropriate; and

m. provide to the Registration Body within 15 days of a request, a list of all domestic electrical installation work in progress at the time and completed by the enterprise in the preceding six months; and

n. provide documents, equipment, tools, test instruments, access and facilities to those assessing and/or monitoring the scheme, eg the United Kingdom Accreditation Service, Government body, when requested by the
Registration Body, and

o. accept that if it can only provide access to domestic electrical installation work of a minor nature, the scope of its registration will be restricted to domestic minor works, and

p. provide an insurance backed warranty as prescribed by the Registration Body to persons ordering domestic electrical installation work; and

q. accept that whilst the Registration Body uses all reasonable care to assess the technical standard of the enterprise’s work, the Registration Body is not responsible or to be held liable for the technical standard of the enterprise’s work.
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
1) If you really think you need the first one then you're probably too far away from knowing enough to do a complete rewire in a timely fashion.

2) You can get the same qualification for less money at your local college.

3) Even with the qualification (in fact even with as many electrical qualifications of as much depth you care to name) you won't be able to self-certify your work unless you join a scheme. But then you should know that:
I was looking at part p,
;)

the part p is confusing to a newcomer ;) There is another option. My cousin is a very experienced electrician. But does commercial work, hence doesn't have part p. Are there any better options there. Like could I get him to do the wok, then local regs to sign off and approve it?
Thanks for all your replies so far. And I'm from nottingham.

My cousin is a very experienced electrician. But does commercial work, hence doesn't have part p. Are there any better options there. Like could I get him to do the wok, then local regs to sign off and approve it?

Yes, you can do that, but you'd still be going down the LABC route, and in essence it would be no different than if you had done the work, albeit that your cousin will have more experience in electrical installation and therefore compliance is more likely first time around. Depending on your LABC, they may allow him to carry out the testing on their behalf and submit an EIC. This might save you some money, but it depends on how helpful your LABC are.

Even if you do opt to ask your cousin for help you still need to notify your LABC and pay their fee before you start.

It's one of the conditions for getting approval to be able to self certify

why do you need public liability insurance? actually you probably may well have it anyway, it's often part of your household insurance.

your public liability linked to your household insurance is to cover for things like slates falling off and hitting someone who happens to be walking by etc (I think), best thing to do is speak to your local building control dept, or better still, get your cousin to speak to them, he'll be able to answer the sort of questions they might ask about his competence

I meant to thank everyone for their replies, sorry it's took so long, I've been so busy with this house! hehe

I've had a quote for rewire, by a NIC/Part-P sparky, of about £2800, which seems reasonable. However, unfortunately my cousin just got made redundant, so I might go down the route of getting him to do it anyway, in conjunction with then LABC, as I'm hoping that'll still be cheaper and I can have a lot more input. It also helps my cousin out for a bit too, everyone wins.... assuming that route will still be cheaper! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back