Electrically seized fans..whats going on there then?

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth......
I've assumed it's a
Broken non continuos winding causing a magnetic field to be induced hence holding it in position rather than spinning? Or something like that!!!

So how come if you oil them they can start working if its electrical

Sponsored Links
I don't think we're talking about the same fault here?

When no power applied the fan spins freely

With power applied the fan will not move and is held magnetically, along with a lot of humming. Never tried oiling one that's doing this!

namsag said:
So how come if you oil them they can start working if its electrical

Ye but , no but,... the ones i am on about will run freely with no power so don't need lubricating.

I had a 1 day old one do it once (sime super 90)

Yeah even when they spin freely with no power and sieze with power have found some that will spin with oil, and always thought this doesn`t make sense

This fault is caused by bearing wear.

What happens is a rotor rotates because a magnetic field is generated by the stator and is a combination of attract/repel forces which cause rotary motion -it's also finely balanced in order to work.

When the bearings are worn this attraction is turned from a rotary motion to a linear one -IE the rotor is drawn towards the stator and hence becomes 'stuck'

Once the electricity is turned off this magnetic attraction is lost and hence the rotor spins freely.

However oil will not nor never can 'repair' this fault as it merely lubricates the bearings not reduces the wear

Cheers

Richard

r.bartlett said:
This fault is caused by bearing wear.

What happens is a rotor rotates because a magnetic field is generated by the stator and is a combination of attract/repel forces which cause rotary motion -it's also finely balanced in order to work.

When the bearings are worn this attraction is turned from a rotary motion to a linear one -IE the rotor is drawn towards the stator and hence becomes 'stuck'

Once the electricity is turned off this magnetic attraction is lost and hence the rotor spins freely.

However oil will not nor never can 'repair' this fault as it merely lubricates the bearings not reduces the wear

Cheers

Richard

That sounds very plausible, it fact i bet its spot on, unless anyone knows any different :LOL:

Actually, TT has got it right because they are usually shaded pole motors.

The shorted turns have to be very low resistance and fatigue can cause internal cracks in the turn, usually at the weld.

You can identify the problem if you measure the impedance of the fan as opposed to just the resistance and compare it with a good fan.

The Ideal Mini C had that fault with a batch of fans and ran out of spares for a while!

There are a very few boiler fans with two windings and a capacitor. I think earlier Sonya Duvals had them for example.

Tony

They're shaded pole motors .
Squirrel cage, as described here in general
http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/jw/electricmotors.html#squirrel

and here in particular - the fan one
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc/electric_motors1.html

A break in the laminations of the squirrel cage means that the motor wouldn't be pulled round properly by the rotating field, so it sits there wobbling.

You can also get "shorted turns" in the windings, which cause nasty problems.

Digressing a little, they often fail through lack of lubricant. In plain bearing motors (eg on Profile boilers) they look like this, where the yellow stuff is grease, and the grey part a sintered (porous) bearing. I thought those were only used with oil, and I'm not sire of the best way to get them going again once they've gunged up. Carb cleaner, or even several doses of WD40 helps to clear the goo.
FanBearing.gif

Whilst trying to keep on topic as best as possible, my cooker hob extractor fan has somewhat seized.
After taking it apart as best I could and freeing it up a little by hand, it works again but far from perfectly with the speed fluctuating.

The likely cause of fault is grease I know, but is it really safe to use oil in an electrical fan assembly? Or are you just talking about lubricating the bearing?

The best small motors use ball bearings but the cheaper ones use a poreous bronze bush bearing which is soaked in oil and expected to last the lifetime of the motor. There is usually a felt pad also soaked with oil in contact with the bush to extend the life.

Since oil is an excellent insulator there is no problem using it on a fan. Indeed oil is used to fill high voltage transformers and capacitors as an insulating and cooling medium.

Some oils used in sealed components, mainly capacitors, during the 70s and 80s is extremely toxic!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back