Electrician documentation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A couple of months ago, I had a full rewire work done in a house that I rent out.

There were various problems, especially with a number of sockets that were missed. The electrician returned to supposedly resolve these issues about 6 weeks ago (after the tenant had moved in).

I have had a chance to inspect the work (inspection delayed due to tenant) and there are still many issues with the work, some of which I believe may be dangerous. In the interim, I emailed him a number of question about the installation, which he initially refused to answer, it now turns out that all the answers he eventually gave were outright lies. For example, he said that he had installed wall sockets for the kitchen appliances, but there are just, what appear to be, a number of single plug extension sockets under the kitchen units (see below), he also said that he had installed isolators for all the appliances, but no such isolators exist).

The electrician (who is NICEIC registered as a domestic installer) said that he would send me a "certificate" but has not yet done so.

As I understand it, he should have:

1) Sent me a BS 7671 electrical installation certificate
2) Sent a Building Regulations compliance certificate to me, and to building control

It has now been over 70 days since the initial installation, and over 40 days since he returned to "rectify" the issues.

He has so far not sent me either certificate, and I have no idea if he has sent the compliance certificate to building control.

I have checked here - www.checkmynotification.com - and the work is not listed

What is the best way to proceed, with regards to the documentation? Do I need to contact building control? If he does not provide it, will I need to pay another electrician to produce it?

sockets.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The building control notification works like this.

1. Electrician does the job and logs it on the NICEIC system
  2. NICEIC (electrically) tells Building Control that the job has been done
  3. NICEIC send you the completion certificate.
Sounds like the electrician has not done 1, so building control will not know about it. He must also send you the Installation Certificate.
if he is an NICEIC registered electrician then you have grounds to raise a dispute with NICEIC. There's a complaint form on their web site.
Be ready with any quotes, contracts and other documentation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses so far.

He is definitely NICEIC. I have spoken with both their building compliance and technical teams today.

Technical team confirmed that the wiring under the units is not compliant and suggested that, as the electrician has claimed that it is compliant, I raise a formal NICEIC complaint, which I will be doing.

The building compliance team confirmed that I should have received the documentation, even though I am in dispute over the works and the final payment (I have paid him 50% so far). They asked me to write to him one more time, to say that I had spoken with them, and that if he doesn't rectify the documentation with 7 working days, they would take over the matter with him.

Overall I have been very impressed in my dealings with NICEIC today. The only thing that surprised me was that they didn't ask who the electrician was. I suppose it doesn't matter for now.

Overall I have been very impressed in my dealings with NICEIC today. The only thing that surprised me was that they didn't ask who the electrician was. I suppose it doesn't matter for now.
Well, if you think about it, they have pushed all actions back to you! They probably will want details if the electrician fails to step up to the mark.
That’ll be the time to judge their effectiveness. Glad you have s way forward. Do let us know how it goes.

TTC

The only thing that surprised me was that they didn't ask who the electrician was

So NICEIC could not confirm that he is registered with NICEIC. It is not unknown for traders to have been struck off trade registers but still leave the registry marking on letter heads and vehicles.

So you have paid him 50% so far.

He has done, supposedly all the work, but there are some issues that need sorting -how big are the issues?

It seems unlikely that an NICEIC registered electrician would have left a job with so many faults that it wouldnt be worth his while coming back to rectify for him to get paid his 50% balance.

I am struggling to see how he can be registered......it just doesnt add up.

Anybody can get on Checkatrade and Mybuilder, just by paying some money and getting their mum to do a review.

Yes, and this wouldn't be the first time that I have had dodgy work done by somebody on Mybuilder. However, it does seem to support the fact that this guy is the actual person listed on the NICEIC register.

It would be better if the register website provided a photo and the engineer's number (as I think the GasSafe register does). Instead it only shows the company name, address and email.

However, it does seem to support the fact that this guy is the actual person listed on the NICEIC register. .... It would be better if the register website provided a photo and the engineer's number (as I think the GasSafe register does). Instead it only shows the company name, address and email.
I would think that you're pretty safe in assuming that it is the right guy.

Anyone can, of course, look at the register and then attempt to impersonate someone who is registered - but if, as you indicated in your initial post, you have successfully exchanged e-mails with him (about the work done for you), provided that you were using the e-mail address recorded in the register, it's difficult to see how it could be anyone but the registered person. Hacking into e-mail accounts is, of course, not unknown, but it's a skill unlikely to be possessed by a 'cowboy electrician'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back