Electrician has left holes in interior brickwork

George, you've deleted all the old photos from your album. The one above is probably the least horrible one. Some of the others had wire runs all over the place.

I notice you've posted on another part of the site that "They [the loft conversion company that arranged this electrical work] wouldn't complete work unless we went with their private inspector." I think perhaps this explains how the electrical work has passed inspection and makes you wonder what else they've done that you haven't spotted (electrical and other). If you still owe them money I'd be getting their work checked over before I paid them and getting it all up to a proper standard while you still have some sort of lever to pull - they may get nasty but it may be better to stand up to them than spending money later to sort what they've done.

Sponsored Links
There is no excuse for running out of safe zones. If needed, a zone should be created with an accessory. You can't just run them anywhere "because it's the only route".

In the photos I saw, I counted at least 7 areas where the safe zones were not accounted for, and also saw a telephone cable and a TV coax that were not segregated from mains wiring.

These are the only two things that jump out as poor, but are things that should be challenged before plastering commences. The loose bricks are the least of your concerns!

There is no gap between the wires and the ceiling. The wires come out where the wall meets the ceiling. I will try and upload more photos - just getting the hang of that. :confused:

"They [the loft conversion company that arranged this electrical work] wouldn't complete work unless we went with their private inspector."
Why did that not sound unbelievably loud alarm bells?

It beggars belief - the people doing the work refuse to do it unless you use their private inspector who certifies that their work is OK?

Why would any building company do that unless they were cowboys and their inspector was bent?

I think calls to Trading Standards and the council's Building Control dept are in order - the latter in case they have an interest in dodgy inspectors.

Sponsored Links
George, you've deleted all the old photos from your album. The one above is probably the least horrible one. Some of the others had wire runs all over the place.

I notice you've posted on another part of the site that "They [the loft conversion company that arranged this electrical work] wouldn't complete work unless we went with their private inspector." I think perhaps this explains how the electrical work has passed inspection and makes you wonder what else they've done that you haven't spotted (electrical and other). If you still owe them money I'd be getting their work checked over before I paid them and getting it all up to a proper standard while you still have some sort of lever to pull - they may get nasty but it may be better to stand up to them than spending money later to sort what they've done.

I am just trying to upload new photos I took today that show the work more clearly. The site keeps crashing on me though. I will keep trying. Thank you.

Thank you. I have uploaded more recent photos. Who could I get to check their work? I have heard that building inspectors don't check the re-wiring - that they are more concerned with the structural issues.

One of the worst ones IMHO with the wires running down from the socket and then left to the corner as the part going left to the corner of the room is not in any safe zone. Yet if the wires had simply been run to the left of the socket to the corner and then down to the hole in the wall then all of the run would have been in safe zones.

Its simply shoddy work and strongly suggests that the electrician didn't plan their work carefully or even think it through while they were doing it. I would not accept this work if I were you as if they can't even do wiring runs correctly what makes you think they have designed the electrics correctly or know how to test it?

203000_202029_59207_63916219.jpg
The structural integrity of that wall has been compromised. The brick work needs to be repaired ( brick replacing wood, resetting the bricks with mortar ) before it is plastered.

The redundant metal conduit pressing against cables is a hazard.

If the builder in charge accepts this obvious sub standard electrical work then I would be very concerned about his judgement on other building work.

took some more photos today.... some inside the loft conversion where I just held the camera and as these wires are not clipped up anywhere
Unclipped cables capable of supporting their own weight and in an uninhabited void aren't the worst crime in the world, however...

View media item 59296If that is live it is very, very dangerous.

Some questions:

- Has the box always had a massive hole in the top left corner, resulting in a serious IP breach end leading to the exposure of live parts?
- Who removed the breakers and plastic shrouds exposing the live parts at the front?
- Has your electrician pointed out this highly dangerous situation, and warned you not to enter the area or touch anything?

The other photos indicate that this guy's an idiot who hasn't planned any of his work properly, doesn't understand regulations and wants to cut corners at all costs. Get rid of him and get a proper sparkie in.

Does the planned work include replacing that fusebox with a new consumer unit ? If not, then It will be interesting to see how he plans to comply with regs regarding concealed cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back