Electrician has left holes in interior brickwork

OP as mentioned previously that the fuseboard is being replaced.

It is a disgrace that they have left that CU live. You can see a temporary socket hanging on a length of a cable in one of the pics, the otherside of the CU wall I believe, and that is bad enough really, but to leave it connected to an old fuseboard with live exposed parts and no RCD protection is just downright dangerous.

Sponsored Links
took some more photos today.... some inside the loft conversion where I just held the camera and as these wires are not clipped up anywhere
Unclipped cables capable of supporting their own weight and in an uninhabited void aren't the worst crime in the world, however...

View media item 59296If that is live it is very, very dangerous.

Some questions:

- Has the box always had a massive hole in the top left corner, resulting in a serious IP breach end leading to the exposure of live parts?
- Who removed the breakers and plastic shrouds exposing the live parts at the front?
- Has your electrician pointed out this highly dangerous situation, and warned you not to enter the area or touch anything?

The other photos indicate that this guy's an idiot who hasn't planned any of his work properly, doesn't understand regulations and wants to cut corners at all costs. Get rid of him and get a proper sparkie in.

On the other side to the cables going in that wall is one wire that leads to where they have plugged in equipment to do joinery work and mix plaster. This is the photo of the other side of the wall with the socket hanging down. It's a side shot unfortunately and I hope you can see what I mean.

//media.diynot.com/203000_202029_59303_63443952_thumb.jpg

What I don't understand is that they could have kept going on this job to second fix stage but have chosen not to because of other work going on in the house with the conversion company that recommended them. We have paid them 2k out of about 6k they quoted. What is the best way of getting rid of them given that they have put so much wiring in? If you don't want to answer that question, don't worry as he's registered with NIC and I am going to ring them in the morning to ask them that very question.

When you phone NIC suggest they come round to do an assessment of the work their "qualified" member has carried out. They are supposed to carry out these random inspections to ensure their members are fit for purpose.

If possible try and get the building inspectors to be on site when NIC do the assessment. That could be an interesting meeting as I am sure the building inspectors would be un-happy if NIC accepted that work as satisfatory. If i

Sponsored Links
When you phone NIC suggest they come round to do an assessment of the work their "qualified" member has carried out. They are supposed to carry out these random inspections to ensure their members are fit for purpose.

If possible try and get the building inspectors to be on site when NIC do the assessment. That could be an interesting meeting as I am sure the building inspectors would be un-happy if NIC accepted that work as satisfatory. If i

That is incredibly helpful to know. Thank you. I will be e-mailing NIC with pictures. I really don't want to have to go through the long drawn out route of filling in a complaints form etc and hope the pictures stir their into action with an inspection as a matter of urgency. We have just had a no chain offer put in on the house we living in currently so it looks like time will be a major issue to us. However, looks like health and safety are paramount here. Thank you.

IME, the first line of action will be that the NIC will request the electrician to rectify the shoddy work. Whether they will come out to inspect, I don't know, but there's absolutely no harm in going to the NIC all guns blazing and leaving the ball in their court.

Oh no, not at all.

That was meant to be included in my catch-all statement "all guns blazing". ;)

I have gone on two sites to get all round advice on this and for when I approach the electrician so that I have enough amo from a good cross section of people. Although I might not have to if I am lucky because I have e-mailed NIC about it including pictures and comments from talk.electricianforum - I was looking for the one comment that would bring on the tank, never mind the guns..... I think I got it. Apparently the NIC open their phone lines at 8.30 am. They should be talking to me at approximately 8.30 am and ten seconds..... so long as they have sat down with a nice fat cup of coffee. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back