Electrician in Salford area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just had a shed installed and need an electrician to install a supply from the house, preferably with a consumer unit. I'm in the salford area can anyone recommend a trader, FYI I have looked at the directory on the site and couldn't find anyone in my area.
Also would it be acceptable to run the armoured cable myself or does this need to be done by the installer? Just want to save money!
Thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
Can't help with a sparky, but you can run the swa yourself. Just let a qualified sparky terminate the ends..
Is the cable route over ground or under?

Thanks
I intend on running it underground as it's prob going to go under the path not 100% sure. What's safest under or overground?

I have looked at the directory on the site and couldn't find anyone in my area.
Which directory on what site?
All of the registered electricians (you need one of those) are listed here http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk
did you look there? It lists 60 electricians within 2½ miles of Salford.

What's safest under or overground?

Both are safe, if they are done properly.
Underground will need to go in a trench 500mm deep.
If its a small shed (eg lights and a socket) why on earth do you think you'll need a consumer unit there?

Sponsored Links
Of course someone will need to calculate what size cable will be required first.

Peter indicated he is in the process. He said
need an electrician to install a supply from the house,
But to reinforce Winston's post, Peter needs to have the electrician determine the cable size and route. He/she will be the one that certifies that it meets the requirements.

Which directory on what site?
All of the registered electricians (you need one of those) are listed here http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk
did you look there? It lists 60 electricians within 2½ miles of Salford.

I looked at the directory on this site, in the past I have always had recommendations from people I know or have people I know do the work. Thank you for pointing me towards that site.

If its a small shed (eg lights and a socket) why on earth do you think you'll need a consumer unit there?

It's not a small shed it's a BIG shed and will be running woodworking equipment so don't want to end up taking out the power around the house and annoying the wife.

Not without their prior consent...

Obviously anything I might do would be put past the person who will sign it off.

Thanks for all your replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back