Extending power to second shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me on what cable to lay between an existing shed and a new one.

The current shed is supplied from a separate circuit on the house consumer unit, the current armoured cable is about 45 meters in length and is marked as 3 X 6.0 and runs to a small consumer unit in the shed. I wish to lay a cable from this shed to the site of another about 15 meters away. The power consumption on the new shed wouldn't be more than 15 amps and the existing shed is used mainly for lighting an the odd garden tool.

The consumer unit in the shed has a spare connection, but I will be getting qualified electrician to connect to this when the time comes. I just want to lay a cable as I need to tidy the garden where the cable will run. I do have some 3 core 1.5mm armoured cable left by the previous owner, but I don't know whether this would suffice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Pete

Sponsored Links
You would need to work out the volt drop to see if it is within limits. Bearing in mind the length for CCC purposes will be the original 45 metres plus the added 15.
A job for your electrician but off the top of my head I would guess 1.5mm ain’t gonna be big enough.

Can anyone advise me on what cable to lay between an existing shed and a new one.

The current shed is supplied from a separate circuit on the house consumer unit, the current armoured cable is about 45 meters in length and is marked as 3 X 6.0 and runs to a small consumer unit in the shed. I wish to lay a cable from this shed to the site of another about 15 meters away. The power consumption on the new shed wouldn't be more than 15 amps and the existing shed is used mainly for lighting an the odd garden tool.

The consumer unit in the shed has a spare connection, but I will be getting qualified electrician to connect to this when the time comes. I just want to lay a cable as I need to tidy the garden where the cable will run. I do have some 3 core 1.5mm armoured cable left by the previous owner, but I don't know whether this would suffice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Pete
my quick calculation makes it to small for 16A braker but ok for a 10A

Sponsored Links
I will be getting qualified electrician to connect to this when the time comes.
The time to get a qualified electrician has already come, as it has to be she who designs the circuit, and at least specifies the way it is to be installed, as only she can sign this (with the significant part highlighted):

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Err.

A: "I need a cable to carry no more than 15A, to supply lighting and sockets for garden tools in a shed. I have some cable already, but I don't know if it will suffice."
B: "The cable you already have is good for 10A, if that's enough for your lights and sockets."

Not sure why you're finding this so confusing.

Even if it were big enough, which it isn't.
We don't know that.

We don't know what the load will really be, but we do know:

1. 1.5mm² SWA is OK for both fault and overload protection on a B16
  2. Depending on the loads in the first shed (quite possibly zero if the second shed is in use), end-to-end volt drop for the actual load in #2 might be fine (possibly qualified by "in practice")
  3. An electrician is needed to establish the actual design parameters

The simple answer to the OP is to use a flexible duct and a draw-string. Preferably bring it up inside the buildings concerned. It can then be covered up, and decisions about cable size etc made later. Take photos before filling the trench to show the electrician.

Thanks for the comments everyone, looks like I may have to get an electrician in.
Wasn't planning to do this until next year when the new shed was to be erected, but looks like I may have no choice.

Is there a possibility that the extra 15 metres of cable would be larger gauge than the existing 45 metres (I e. 6mm)?

The power in the second shed is to drive a telescope mount, camera and gear each of which need a 12v regulated supply. The mount is rated at 7 amps, camera 1.5 amps and other gear maybe 2amps so the 15amps in my earlier post was to provide some contingency.

The idea of ducting and a draw string is unfortunately not practicable as the wire will need to go through a couple of 90 degree turns before going into the existing shed, one of the reasons I wanted to lay the cable early was that I currently have access under this shed to feed the cable through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone, looks like I may have to get an electrician in.
Wasn't planning to do this until next year when the new shed was to be erected, but looks like I may have no choice.

Is there a possibility that the extra 15 metres of cable would be larger gauge than the existing 45 metres (I e. 6mm)?

The power in the second shed is to drive a telescope mount, camera and gear each of which need a 12v regulated supply. The mount is rated at 7 amps, camera 1.5 amps and other gear maybe 2amps so the 15amps in my earlier post was to provide some contingency.

The idea of ducting and a draw string is unfortunately not practicable as the wire will need to go through a couple of 90 degree turns before going into the existing shed, one of the reasons I wanted to lay the cable early was that I currently have access under this shed to feed the cable through.
is that 7a at 12v? 1.5a at 12v? 2a for extras at 12v?
if it is 10.5a total at 12v thats 126w or under 1a at 230v allowing for loses

Oops, forgot laptop, say 20v 4amps.
Just rechecked the amperage on the other items and the figures do seem right. A couple of dew heaters may be needed in the future at about 10 amps total but still only 12volts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back