Extending power to second shed

Oops, forgot laptop, say 20v 4amps.
Just rechecked the amperage on the other items and the figures do seem right. A couple of dew heaters may be needed in the future at about 10 amps total but still only 12volts
so this adds 20x4=80 & 10x12=120 to 126
=326va or about 2A off the mains

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's about it, so would the 1.5mm be sufficient, or should I go for say 4mm for a bit of "belt and braces" for the sake of £30 or so, or would it still be advisable to get an electrician to take a look?

would it still be advisable to get an electrician to take a look?
Please. This was advised earlier. You need a registered electrician who is a member of one of the CPS. This is notifiable work. It needs certifying that it has been DESIGNED, INSTALLED & TESTED in accordance with BS7671.
Do you even have a copy of BS7671?
No, I didn’t think so.
The certificate will need to be signed by the person who did the work. Not cobbled together with a bit of scag cable you have laying around and a bit of dubious advice from an Internet forum.

(Not to mention using the famous and trusted belt and braces principles).

Nothing was being "cobbled together with a bit of scag cable". Which was why I put up the request for advice in the first place. If i had wanted to do that, I would have just run a long extension cable and plugged it into a socket in the existing shed. As I said in my earlier posts, the intention is to get a qualified electrician to do the bulk of the work, I just wanted to see if it was possible to pre lay a cable to allow me to get the ground work done since the new shed does not even exist yet and probably won't be until next spring.

Sponsored Links
Then either
Lay a duct and your electrician can pull the correct cable in later
Or
Find your electrician now and have him tell you what size cable he is prepared to certify as suitable and compliant.

As explained in an earlier post, unfortunately duct is not an option, I was coming round to thinking i might have to go for your second option, the problem is getting an electrician who is prepared to do this work up front
Thanks

If you're digging a trench, what is there 450-ish mm down that introduces those 90° bends? Can they be swept?

would the 1.5mm be sufficient, or should I go for say 4mm for a bit of "belt and braces"

Neighbors hedge roots, rock and shed foundations.there is only about 250mm gap between boundary and power entry point.

I've seen some of these articles, but not all, something to have a read through tomorrow.
I have just been recommended a local electrician by a neighbor so I will give them a call on Monday.
Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back