Electrician not issued part p - where do I stand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the kitchen refitted about 7 months ago now, some electrical work done (Oven and hood moved about a foot and a couple of extra sockets) as part of the installation. The kitchen fitter bought in an electrician to do this, I was assured that I would receive the part p for the work.

As per the title really, I have not received the certificate and have chased the kitchen fitter (who is now working in Saudi Arabia, and comes back every couple of months) and the electrician directly. Electrician said he would sort it, then hasn't and now doesn't answer the phone. The kitchen fitter says he has tried but now seems to have given up.

Where do I stand with the work in the house and legality etc? What sort of action could I take to get them to issue one? I don't really see why I should need to incur any cost for this when it should have been issued by them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Only use reputable tradesmen - Ask to see Part P registration card before you let them touch your electrics - boot em off site til they get one.
In your case - who did you pay? Sue them. Even if they are abroad on their next trip back they will see that the case did not go there way

Two different answers there!

I paid the kitchen fitter, to sue them seems a bit dramatic but what else would motivate them to do it?

Sponsored Links
If the Electrician is registered with one of the schemes (like NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA) you could contact the scheme provider and see if you get any joy with their complaints procedure.

If he is not registered then you will need to take legal action.

Check the electrician is registered first.
use this link:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
If they are registered? They have one month on completion of work, to notify the work to their scheme provider. You will receive a letter of confirmation but the certificate should have been given to you direct by the electrician.
If that has not been done, make a complaint to their scheme provider.
If they are not registered, I would say your in a bad place. You could report them to building controls or even your local MP. But I doubt anything will come of it.

But I doubt anything will come of it.

Which was kinda my point.

You will only get yourself stressed out worrying about it.

Better off spending that money on an (another) electrician to come out and check the works and sign it off.

Thanks for the info I will try and find out what scheme, if any, he is on.

My next question was, can I get another electrician to come and certify/sign it off without the need for them to pull my kitchen apart to look at things? How much roughly should I be paying for that? As I say, the only work was moving the cooker 30cms and putting a couple of extra sockets on the loop.

Legally the electrician that signs off, is the one that installs.
So you may find it difficult getting one that will take on the responsibility of another's work.
The problem here being, that there would be difficulty in positively identifying that all buried cables are within the permitted safe zones.

Sue the kitchen fitter for employing a tw@t that was not a kosher electrician and giving you a huge problem when you come to sell. I have a customer you can see this on another thread. who's sell is being held up for exactly the same reason as the problem you have. Only the kitchen fitter was wicks, but they don't have a cert for the work and the other parties solicitor won't proceed until they do. it is f-ing their life up, so NO I don't think it is harsh. Bet soon as he gets the summons, he find an electrician to come finish the job and put a part p completion on it - it will become his problem NOT yours

As well as possible safety issues, selling the house is one of my main concerns.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to start applying some serious pressure then.

See if you can find someone to hack his Facebook page so that it says derogatory things about the prophet Mohammed... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back