Electrician spot light question

422.3.1 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard specifies requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from Combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m

There is no reference to "top clearance" it is 0.5m all around.

There is a big difference between complying with regulations and being safe or sensible. The regulation above does no talk about ventilation and clearly a lamp used in a projector with fan running will not transmit the heat in the same way as one in still air. Which is why manufacturers are allowed to recommend being used closer then the 0.5 m.

Outside under the eves made of wood at half that distance unlikely a 50W halogen will cause a problem and with a 3W LED extremely unlikely but the regulation still says 0.5 m.

Part B 7.4 does not give much information and is vague as to requirements as is the similar document on Part P. So if it goes wrong easy to say one is in breach of Part whatever but before it goes wrong hard to prove it does not comply. We are hardly going to light a fire and time how long it takes to reach the next floor. If 11th of the 7th is anything to go by not long.

To become a scheme member costs a lot more than £500 per year. You have to have all the books to start with no good saying you read one in the library and first few job you need to pay the LABC as well. I no longer do domestic as all too easy for even a non reportable job to escalate which puts £200 on the customers bill. So the people I would have done work for in the main now DIY.

Sponsored Links
I think some people prefer fire rated anyway to stop the worst of the heat from rising, especially if the ceiling is insulated.

Not sure what you mean here, a fire rated fitting is not made to stop the spread of heat.

I would love, and I really do mean love, you to take hold of a fire-rated light with a halogen lamp in it, which had been on for a while, and tightly clasp the canister in both hands.

The pain from the burns would be a useful lesson to you, and they might stop you using a keyboard for a while, so we would all benefit too.

You clearly have no idea what "fire rated" means, or when and where fire rated lights are needed.

Please stop giving advice - you are no good at it.

Non non, you mis-understand.

I said I think that some people fit them because....meaning it's what they think when people always say 'they have to be fire rated' when that's not always the case.

NOT, I'd fit them because.........

The pain from the burns would be a useful lesson to you, and they might stop you using a keyboard for a while, so we would all benefit too.

Like wise, like wise. Most of this forum are bored with your multiquotes. They take so long to do, where do you find the time?

You're boring and grate on people - it's why you were banned from Screwfix forums.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back