Electricity into detached garage via SFS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been told that it would be ok to run power to a detached garage via a switched fused spur. Is this the case, and if so what else am I likely to need?

I have already buried an armoured cable across the garden, and left a pile of cable on each side. I want to put some lights and sockets in the garage. Is there a limit on the number of sockets I can add?

The main consumer unit is on the other side of my house, which is in a terrace, so no way of going around to it. But there is a double socket next to the outside wall that would easy to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you have been told wrong.

for more info on what is involed try a seach, using

power to garage

power to shed

power to

A switch fuse spur will limit you to 13A which doesn't really give you much if you intend doing any work in the garage.Also you didn't mention what size armoured you had ran in, and how far the run was.

But to answer your query about how many sockets...If they are wired to the load side of a 13A spur, then as many as you like, but you are limited to a total load of 13A, obviously.

However, as others have said, the loading on the cable is dependent upon the conductor CSA & the cable length, amongst others.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back