Electricity pole in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden utility pole in my garden which supports the supplies to both myself and my neighbour. I am having ground works carried out near to the pole and the excavation contractor is nervous about how close he can dig to the pole without there being a risk of it being undermined. I have tried ringing the electricity board but none of their options suit my circumstances, nor is there an option to speak to anyone. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks, Andrew

Sponsored Links
Set it on fire. Once it burns down the elec company will be out like a shot!

ringing the electricity board

Contact the District Network Operator ( DNO ) for your location, this is NOT the company to which you pay your electricity bill.

If there are any cables coming down the pole and going underground then you must contact the DNO

I have a wooden utility pole in my garden which supports the supplies to both myself and my neighbour. I am having ground works carried out near to the pole and the excavation contractor is nervous about how close he can dig to the pole without there being a risk of it being undermined. I have tried ringing the electricity board but none of their options suit my circumstances, nor is there an option to speak to anyone. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks, Andrew
Whilst you're speaking to them, enquire when they'll be paying the way-leave rental :giggle:

Sponsored Links
We have one at the bottom of our back garden. It feeds a meter and 1 fused isolating switch for the cess pit pump.
Nobody has ever been out to read the meter and we've never had a bill in the 8 years we have been her. :)

I've worked in a property which had a temporary supply in a pillar for the builder and he ran a temporary supply to a temporary CU in the house for heaters to dry it during building. DNO ran a supply/meter to the garage which had the 'official CU' in the garage, during the initial electric installation some circuits were connected to the garage CU the rest (the whole of the kitchen and the electric shower were) to the house CU.
My friend was the third owner, had lived there for over 20 years when I helped with replacing accessories and discovered the issue. He didn't even know the unread meter, or the rotten plywood pillar containing it, existed behind shrubs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back