Electricity Supplier ?

1974 and the 3 day week. .... It worked with only a few companies / large users refusing to limit themselves to just 3 days a week. It could not be enforced where the local network could not separate supplies to commercial users from supplies to residential users. ... Smart meters provide the facility to selectively switch off supplies, If the meter's function is purely to record the amount of power used and the time it was used ( variable time of day charging rates ) then there is no need for the 100 Amp relay that many smart meters have inside them.
Are 'smart' meters actually being deployed to 'commercial users'?

As far as domestic installations are concerned, as I understand it suppliers appear to have 'promised' not to use the 'remote cut- off' facility, even though it exits, I suspect at the behest of their lawyers. Even in this forum, we see enough fuss being made out of the theoretical risk (potentially 'to life and limb') of being 'plunged into darkness' because the installation does not have enough RCDs - so if the same were to happen as a result of deliberate ('remote') human action, it could perhaps be argued that there was 'culpability', all the way up to potential manslaughter charges?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Very true. Even today, there are times (when it's windy!) when a high proportion of demand is served by a combination of nuclear and wind-generated electricity, presumably at pretty low 'carbon cost'.
This (a couple of minutes ago) seems pretty impressive (and not even the lowest-demand time of day) ...

1653485367598.png
1653485594660.png

Kind Regards, John

Are 'smart' meters actually being deployed to 'commercial users'?
I'm pretty sure "half hourly" metering was a thing for commercial users (particularly larger ones) long before domestic smart meters. I'm also pretty sure the metering setups for large commercial installations do not have remote disconnect relays, the meters use external CTs through which the tails pass unbroken

I don't know if smaller commercial customers use domestic style smart meters or not.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure "half hourly" metering was a thing for commercial users (particularly larger ones) long before domestic smart meters. I'm also pretty sure the metering setups for large commercial installations do not have remote disconnect relays, the meters use external CTs through which the tails pass unbroken
That all corresponds with my understanding (at least, for industrial and 'large commercial' installations) - and your last point (with which I agree) illustrates one of the flaws in bernard's argument
I don't know if smaller commercial customers use domestic style smart meters or not.
I don't know, either, whether there are mega-versions of domestic-style 'smart meters' (with comms facilities) but, even if they are, I don't think they are part of the government's push/targets - and, as above, if (as seems probable) they don't have any remotely operable contactor, they would serve the purpose bernard was suggesting.

Of course, that wouldn't preclude the possibility of suppliers installing stand-alone remotely-operable contactors (which would serve bernard's purpose) if they wanted to, but that's got nothing to do with 'smart' meters, per se.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back