Electricity Supply to my New Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have just knocked down my old garage, and Im about to have a replacement built. It will be detached from the house, a few metres away.
The old garage had electricity from a junction box that is part of the upstairs ring main. From the box, a 3 core cable runs out through the wall, and was suspended across the gap between the buildings at a height of about 2 metres. It fed two single plug sockets and a light.
This is all gone, but I would like a similar arrangement with the new garage so that I don't need the driveway dug up to lay an underground cable. I only need power for a light, and to run the flymo and the hedge cutter.
Am I going to have problems getting an electrician to do this (because of regulations) ? The method survived for 32 years in the old garage ! :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have problems with an electrician. He may suggest you instal a switched fused spur before going outside. you will need an rcd protecting the circuit at 30ma. The cable to the outside should be suitable for the enviroment. Above all the earthing arrangements must be up to date. He/she will test that your ring main and circuit protection are suitable and safe to stay in service.

Also the cable will need to be supported or fitted to a secure structure.
A catenary wire would be the most suitable for supporting lengths of cable run overhead.
If the cable is hung where there is no vehicle traffic the minimum height would be 3.5m.
Personally I would have this circuit directly contacted to the consumer unit and rather than have it as a spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back