Electricity supply to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like some advice on laying an electricity supply to a garden shed please.

Shed is standard wooden shed, and I would like a single light bulb, and a single mains power outlet socket. So the requirements are quite basic. I will not be using any high-usage items into the socket - probably just the flymo on occasions, and perhaps a radio.

The shed is approx 8m from the house (it's a small garden)

I'm currently laying some decking outside the house, and wanted to lay the cable under the decking before I finish it, if possible.

I'd appreciate some pointers on issues such as:

- does the cable have to be buried, or is it OK under the decking (and on top of the old patio stones beneath?

- do I need a consumer unit in the shed?

- do I need to run a new circuit from the main consumer unit in the house, or can I extend an existing circuit (which would be MUCH easier, of course).

- Does it need to be switchable from within the house?

- Do the fittings within the shed (i.e. socket and light fitting) need to be the weatherproof variety? The shed is new and dry, but I guess that can't be guaranteed forever!

Thanks all in advance.

PS. Finally, re regulations - can I carry out this work myself, and then get it inspected by my electrician?

Sponsored Links
p.s. No. so get some recommendations for a local electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme. Get him to confirm which scheme he is in, how long he has been a member, and that he will issue an installation certificate. Ask if he would like you to dig and lay a duct for him to poke the cable through (plastic waste pipe is usually OK). he will not want you to lay the cable as he cannot be sure you have not damaged or joined it where it is out of sight. But if you have buried a duct with easy bends and a polypropylene rope he can easily draw cable in. Now is a good time to dig the trench and lay the duct.

he will advise what else you need and will not thank you for buying cheap parts in advance.

I would suggest a weatherproof "garage" CU with its own RCD and an MCB for lighting and one for sockets, probably fed from a 20A MCB on the house if you have a spare way. If your house CU is old or full or the earthing arrangements are unsatisfactory there may be more to do.

Weatherproof switches and sockets are a good idea and add only a few pounds if done at the start.

it is also important to decide if you expect to run a water main to the shed.

Hi, I'd like some advice on laying an electricity supply to a garden shed please.

Shed is standard wooden shed, and I would like a single light bulb, and a single mains power outlet socket. So the requirements are quite basic. I will not be using any high-usage items into the socket - probably just the flymo on occasions, and perhaps a radio.

The shed is approx 8m from the house (it's a small garden)

I'm currently laying some decking outside the house, and wanted to lay the cable under the decking before I finish it, if possible.
If you go here you can download Electrical installations outdoors: a supply to a detached outbuilding which although old gives a load of sound advice.
I'd appreciate some pointers on issues such as:

- does the cable have to be buried, or is it OK under the decking (and on top of the old patio stones beneath?
Likely OK on old patio stones but you need to get advice from whoever is signing Part P paper work as it is down to him.
- do I need a consumer unit in the shed?
No it is common to feed directly into double socket and from there to a switched fused connection unit to supply lights with lower fuse capacity.
- do I need to run a new circuit from the main consumer unit in the house, or can I extend an existing circuit (which would be MUCH easier, of course).
Much depends on the earth loop impedance etc where you would like to take supply from. Get advice from whoever is signing Part P paper work.
- Does it need to be switchable from within the house?
Yes as somewhere there will be a fuse or MCB which can be used to switch off supply but no need for any special arrangement although I would include one.
- Do the fittings within the shed (i.e. socket and light fitting) need to be the weatherproof variety? The shed is new and dry, but I guess that can't be guaranteed forever!
That would depend on your shed. Mine does not leak.
Thanks all in advance.

PS. Finally, re regulations - can I carry out this work myself, and then get it inspected by my electrician?

Yes by informing the council and paying their fees before you start, but likely cheaper to get a registered electrician as council charges around £100 plus vat knock that off electricians bill and hardly worth DIY.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back