electricity supply tolerances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anybody know what the domestic supply limits are for voltage and current .
ive had a search on the web with no succsess i think my incoming cable is two small and thats causing me bad voltage drop

Sponsored Links
207-253V.Normally single phase supply fuse is 100A max.It depends on the impedance of your supply.What load are you drawing?

60A AND VOLTAGE DROPS TO 220V BUT CABLE THAT SUPPLIES MY HOUSE COMES FROM THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR AND THEN GOES TO OVERHEAD CABLES BESIDE NEIGHBOURS HOUSE . CABLE TO NEXT DOOR AND CABLE TO POLE SAME SIZE ABOUT 18MM OUTSIDE DIAMETER 2 CORE SWA

Are you sure it is 2 core SWA?

DNOs tend to distribute on either concentric or split concentric cable.

Sponsored Links
100% sure cable goes up pole and one core goes to top wire and other core to the bottom cable forgot to mention next door empty at the moment

My parents-in-law have got a VIR twin overhead TT supply. This was then converted to TN-S with a single core bare copper wire. Then converted again to TN-C-S.

What's that all about?

If your voltage is starting out at say 240V and 60A is causing the voltage to drop by 20V then 20/60 = 0.33ohms impedance.I can't see a lot wrong with this (especially if you are on overheads and possibly rural?)

runci21 said:
does anybody know what the domestic supply limits are for voltage and current .
On [url=http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file11548.pdf]this[/url] web page said:
...the UK electricity supply being 230 V +10% -6%...
i.e. 216.2 V - 253.0 V

runci21 said:
100% sure cable goes up pole and one core goes to top wire and other core to the bottom cable forgot to mention next door empty at the moment
Sounds like concentric. You appear to have a similar supply arrangement as us. It was renewed in about 1990, all the street was PME'd. Every 4th house has a 2 core supply from the street and its strung between the 4 houses. About 16mm concentric cable. I know its concentric because where there's a branch to a house, it splits to 2 seperate cores for a couple of metres for the 2 cores to be joined seperately. If it were SWA, there'd be a third core for earth continuity. And its too thin to be SWA anyway.

Concentric is very compact for the internal core diameters. 4mm 2 core SWA is probably about the same outer size as 16mm concentric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back