Electrics and a cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just built some office furniture. Putting the units in-place I noticed I was covering up some power points... Ah, I know. I'll put a small hole in the office unit, get one of those power bloc supplies and connect it up. Of course, the plug is not going to fit through a small hole, and, of course I don't want a large hole in the real of the cupboard... So, I'll need to plug the socket in, remove the socket bloc and push the cable through the cupboard, re-connect and were sorted !!! Yes, you can see this coming - I didn't...

After plugging the plug into the socket I thought to myself - stupid me, nearly left the socket switched off (for some reason), which means, when I push the cupboard back against the wall - I'd have now power... Right, switch that little baby on...

Now, get the bare wires and push them through the hole I've just made in the cupboard ready to be re-connected to the power bloc.

And ZAP !!

Fortunately, my mate had just re-wired the house and all the consumer units and trips were working just fine - didn't hurt too much. Not that I will do this again - I hope !! Actually, I think I might !

Sponsored Links
thats impressively close to qualifying for a Darwin award :LOL:

try not to do that again!!!!!

So what are you gonna do when the fuse blows and you need to replace it? Or the fuse doesn't blow but the plug overheats and melts potentially causing a fire that you cannot see?

Colin C

could you hard wire a fused 4 way extension lead and feed that through the hole?

is that allowed?

Sponsored Links
The fuse wouldnt be accessable as in the 4 way its in the plug.

Personally I'd just cut a big hole to allow access, only has to be 10 inches square or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back