Electrics and lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
I’ve just installed a keystone box k-100 lintel and need to get a cable for a plug socket from one end to the other … would it be acceptable to run the cable in conduit along the lintel?
Thanks
Jake :)

Sponsored Links
As in through the lintel? Yes as long as the cable still falls in safe zones when it emerges from the lintel and you don't compromise any cavity closers or insulation.
You'll also need (if not already installed) RCD protection on the whole circuit.
You can run it on the surface of the lintel not in conduit (much better idea) again as long as safe zones are observed, RCD etc etc.
Not a good idea to drill any holes in the lintel for clips etc- you'll cause corrosion and potential failure of the lintel.

Hi old ,
Many thanks for your reply. It’s a hollow lintel with a lip on the bottom. External that I was going to run it across, Hope the pic helps … the blue dot is where I was going to run it then cover with fire proof board . The system is rcd protected
Many thanks
Jake

Attachments

• AF0FA0FC-EC36-4430-82A3-AD581B13A9B6.jpeg
    AF0FA0FC-EC36-4430-82A3-AD581B13A9B6.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Hi Taylor,
H-215mm then there’s approx 300mm above that.

It would just be ideal to run a mains cable along the outside of the lintel if possible
Thanks
Jake

Attachments

• 013A5BD0-BEF4-4812-8D0D-180B53B85FE9.jpeg
    013A5BD0-BEF4-4812-8D0D-180B53B85FE9.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 73
The cable has to be either 50mm from the surface of the wall (on either side) or less than 150mm from the ceiling.
Can you achieve that? Can you run the cable inside the lintel. That would give you the required depth on either side.

Also, where does the cable come from/go to in the wall once it is clear of the lintel?

I should be able to achieve it if it went inside the lintel …

The metal trunkin on the wall actually feeds a plug socket … I always thought cables to sockets went down and lights went up‍♀️

What I want to do is take a spur off this socket and put another socket at the other side of the wall and at the other end of the lintel
Thanks
Jake

It should also be achievable on the outside( just measured )
Thanks
Jake

Cables can go vertically up and down and horizontally too.
There’s no rule about what the circuit might be.

Another question. The existing socket, how many cables go to that?. Trying to discover if this is a ring final circuit (in which case you cannot add two extra sockets without having other things installed).

There’s just one cable (twin core and earth )

Thanks
Jake

I'd be concerned about the cable getting damaged when the corner bead gets attached for plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back