electrics for en suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am changing a top floor box room into a ensuite for the adjacent master bedroom. I know all about planning and building regs etc that are required. I am just wondering in relation to the electric sockets that are already in the box room, would the electrician make these redundant but would he be able to use wiring from one of these sockets and re run it for electrics for the new shower. I know there will be probably more to it than just that but just for a rough idea.
Thanks in advance
Lee

Sponsored Links
absolutely not..!!!

the sockets in the room will need to be totally removed, and any joints need to be accessible, so no sticking it in a JB under a tiled floor etc...

Hi,
I have no experience of electrics and was just asking out of interest, i know the sockets are removed but how is the wiring terminated from the old sockets, and can any of the original wiring be used to feed the shower as i thought the original wiring would be okay.

your electrician will need to run a completely new line from your MCB for the shower as its a completely differently rated cable than those used for the ring supplying the sockets

the only use you might be able to make of the existing cabling supply the existing sockets is to pull it to the other side of the wall its on a supply a socket in the adjoing room(s)

Sponsored Links
your electrician will need to run a completely new line from your MCB for the shower as its a completely differently rated cable than those used for the ring supplying the sockets

How can you possibly say that? Maybe its just a pump mixer without any heating element.
Lets ask that question first then to divingmoose:

Can you say what sort of shower you are planning and what it is rated at?
Also, does your consumer unit have an RCD fitted?

yeah the old wiring will need to go, or at least have the supply cut to it. As the socket will prob be on a ring an electrician should be able to re-route the power around the new ensuite quite easy. the shower however will prob use a 10mm cable, not 2.5mm like the sockets, and also the lighting/fan/shaving point run of 1/1.5mm cable. so no the existing wiring is of no use ;)

as TTC pointed out, we've all jumped to the conclusion that he means a 10.5KW electric shower...

he may be fitting a hot / cold power shower in which case all he needs is power to the pump...

The shower is one which is fed from the combi boiler no pump, although there is some electric for the showers but this not for a pump its for a light which tells you when its reached the required temp.

then persuant to the cables being long enough ( or changed ) to reach the new location, yes you can use the socket circuit to power it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back