Electrics in a new en-suite.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can any body tell me the requirements under Part 'P' for electrics in a new en-suite to satissfy BCO.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It has to comply with BS7671:2008 and Part L
As to BS7671:2008 change from BS7671:2001 now RCD on everything and no special bedroom bit but now allowed a socket in a bathroom 3 meters from shower or bath which replaces special bedroom bit. What I don't know is if no doors where the limit of a bathroom is?
I will guess with no doors or partition walls 3 meters is limit.
There are 5 pages of regulations can't really copy out all 5 pages.

Get a registered electrician to do it for you - he will be aware of all of the requirements.

Get a local friendly one at www.competentperson.co.uk

It will need to comply with lots of things. Building Regs Part L, F, P, BS7671, all sorts....

It has to comply with BS7671:2008.
It doesn't have to.

Realistically there isn't any sensible alternative system to be guided by though or different principles to work to, but strictly speaking it's not mandatory. It'd be hard anyway for any DIYer to comply with Part 6 of it, and Approved Document P explicitly deals with the situation where this is the case.

Sponsored Links
OK agreed as BAS says the Part P document has not as yet been altered to say BS7671:2008 rather than BS7671:2001 but if the LABC were asked to oversee the work under Part P I would not expect they would accept BS7671:2001 any longer.
That is of course if the LABC do the inspection themselves anyway as I understand there is only one Council with a qualified building inspector able to sign off work. Think someone said it was Leeds?
And where the LABC employ a contractor to oversee work they would likely be signatory to one of the overseeing bodies and would have to comply by their rules as well so would be working under BS7671:2008.
So in real terms one does have to follow BS7671:2008
I have seen installations to other standards where some Germans fitted some plant and instead of bending the conduit like we do they fitted plastic end caps and free air around the bends and no earth wires joining tubes they claimed it was to European standard and we were part of EU therefore we must accept it?
I was not happy but did not have a copy of their book and even if I did I could not read it. I note the 17th Edition is still not available in Welsh which since only recommendation it is not required to be. But Part P can't refer to any documents which have not been published in Welsh and has itself also be published in Welsh or it would break the law to be in force in Wales and if it breaks a law it can't be law it's self.
Yes I too can be pedantic.
Eric

OK agreed as BAS says the Part P document has not as yet been altered to say BS7671:2008 rather than BS7671:2001 but if the LABC were asked to oversee the work under Part P I would not expect they would accept BS7671:2001 any longer.
It's not the 16th/17th that is the issue - there is no requirement in the Building Regulations to comply with any edition of BS7671.

That is of course if the LABC do the inspection themselves anyway as I understand there is only one Council with a qualified building inspector able to sign off work. Think someone said it was Leeds?
1) There's no requirement to work to BS7671 so therefore there's no requirement for an LABC to be able to I&T to BS7671.
2) In any event no qualifications are required to be able to I&T or to write BS7671 certificates.
3) In any event again when a council inspects for Building Regulations compliance and there is no BS7671 certificate they don't issue one.

And where the LABC employ a contractor to oversee work they would likely be signatory to one of the overseeing bodies and would have to comply by their rules as well so would be working under BS7671:2008.
They would have to do the I&T to BS7671 - that's not the same as saying that the installation has to be found in compliance with it, as the only thing you need to do to comply with the law is to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

And that could be done without necessarily complying with BS7671.

So in real terms one does have to follow BS7671:2008
It is the most sensible route. You do still need to maintain an awareness of the 16th though as the actual law regarding notification still refers to that.

But Part P can't refer to any documents which have not been published in Welsh and has itself also be published in Welsh or it would break the law to be in force in Wales and if it breaks a law it can't be law it's self.
Since P1, which defines what you must do, doesn't refer to BS7671, then this is irrelevant.

Schedule 2B, which lists things you don't need to do does refer to it, but since being unable to read it would not leave you in breach of any legislation, only unable to take advantage of some exemptions, I think you'd be on very shaky ground if you tried to claim in court that the Building Regulations did not apply to you because BS7671 wasn't available in Welsh...

It's not the 16th/17th that is the issue - there is no requirement in the Building Regulations to comply with any edition of BS7671.
It is the most sensible route. You do still need to maintain an awareness of the 16th though as the actual law regarding notification still refers to that.
Make your mind up!!!!!!!

Err - I do hope you aren't going to try and claim that there was any inconsistency or indecision in what I wrote.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with believing that complying with BS7671 is the sensible thing to do and at the same time recognising that there is no actual requirement to do so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back