Light switch outside toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone who is well up on the UK electrical regulations help me with this please?

I believe that fitting a light switch to the wall outside an en suite toilet satisfies the regulations, since it is outside the room. However the en suite room is tiny, so it would be perfectly possible for someone using the washbasin to reach out through the doorway and operate the switch.

Does this matter? Would fitting a pull cord switch inside the en suite be a safer option?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wash basins don't count.

Switches must be >600mm. from a vertical line from the edge of bath or the edge of shower tray or the edge of the cubicle.

Pull cords can be closer.

I believe that fitting a light switch to the wall outside an en suite toilet satisfies the regulations, since it is outside the room.
So would one inside the room.

Would fitting a pull cord switch inside the en suite be a safer option?
What sort of switch do you want, and where do you want it?

Chances are you may have it.

Thanks. My preference would be a wall switch outide the door, but I didn't want to do that and then be told by the electrical company who are signing it off that Id have to redo it. I've contacted my electricIan directly but not heard back yet and unfortunately I need an answer today because plasterboard is going up this week.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. My preference would be a wall switch outide the door,
If that's what you want, then have it. The next owners can sort it if they want to.

... the electrical company who are signing it off ...
What does "signing off" mean in this case?

I've contacted my electricIan directly but not heard back yet and unfortunately I need an answer today because plasterboard is going up this week.
Another awol electrician - the country is awash with them. Let's hope he is happy for you to do things without his involvement.

I believe that fitting a light switch to the wall outside an en suite toilet satisfies the regulations, since it is outside the room. However the en suite room is tiny, so it would be perfectly possible for someone using the washbasin to reach out through the doorway and operate the switch. Does this matter?
Is this literally just an "en suite toilet"? If it doesn't contain a bath or shower (only toilet and basin), then (whatever one thinks about this) there are no regulatory restrictions as to where you can have a switch within in (and certainly no restrictions on location outside of the room).

Common sense indicates that one should not put a switch too close to a basin, not the least to avoid it getting splashed with water, but (if there is no bath or shower) if one uses common sense, the switch could go anywhere within the toilet room - and just outside of the room (as you have suggested) would be fine as far as regulations are concerned.

If you would be happier, you are obviously free to use a pull switch, anywhere.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you everybody. After a lot of thought I will go with a pull cord outside the door. The room is so small (just loo and basin - think about the toilets you get on aircraft for an idea of size) that a pull cord hanging in the room would probably be an annoyance and keep hitting you in the face. And an outside switch - whatever the regs allow, does invite someone to go in there, start washing their hands and then think 'it's a bit dark in here, I'll just reach and switch the lights on'.......

True.

But I do wonder sometimes why people factor concerns about such monumental unthinking into their designs. The same sort of assumptions would lead them, for example, to having kitchens with no knives, lest someone grasp one by the wrong end and cut themselves.

Thank you everybody. After a lot of thought I will go with a pull cord outside the door. The room is so small (just loo and basin - think about the toilets you get on aircraft for an idea of size) that a pull cord hanging in the room would probably be an annoyance and keep hitting you in the face. And an outside switch - whatever the regs allow, does invite someone to go in there, start washing their hands and then think 'it's a bit dark in here, I'll just reach and switch the lights on'.......
Fair enough. It's obviously your decision and if the solution you describe is the only one you would feel comfortable with, then that's obviously the route that would be right for you. As I've said, regulation-wise you could do almost anything!

However, I think there is a lot of probably unnecessary concern about the perceived risks of touching, say, a light switch with wet hands. If that wasn't generally safe, nor probably would it be safe to touch them with dry hands! For some reason, one doesn't hear the same concerns being voiced about people touching the switches on electric showers (whilst naked and totally wet!). In most countries outside the UK, switches/sockets etc. can be (and are) installed almost anywhere in a bathroom (sockets very close to basins are not uncommon) and I'm not aware of people 'dropping like flies' as a consequence in those countries.

Depending upon your feeling about the aesthetics, another possibility for you to consider would be to have a switch within the toilet room but to use a switch designed for outside use - if it were happy in the rain, I'm sure it wouldn't mind the occasional wet hands! There are also plenty of other more 'higher-tech' solutions, but you probably would not want to consider them, "just for as loo".

Kind Regards, John

I thought this was about switches in outside loos and I can recall when having a light in your outside loo was luxury!

I thought this was about switches in outside loos and I can recall when having a light in your outside loo was luxury!
An absent luxury in my grandparents' house, if I recall correctly! (and nor did the plumbing work during periods of sub-zero temperature!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back