Bathroom lighting regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first attempt at a forum question! I've built a house extension, now I'm wiring it, and I believe there are specific Part P regs about bathroom equipment. All I have is a light unit, with a switch outside the room, in the en suite, and I can wire this to a supply protected by a 30mA 80A RCD, in the same circuit as the bedroom lights. Is this OK?

Sponsored Links
The Part P regs are it needs to comply with P1 (see Ban-all-Sheds part p summary 04/06.) You are also required to notify your LABC of this work (England+Wales) as it does not fall into the non-notifiable criterion. Bathrooms are a special location in BS7671 aka the IEE wiring regs. The light may/may not require RCD protection depending where it is mounted. This also applies to the supplementary equipotential bonding.

Providing it complies with the stated zones included in part P

i.e.
Zone 0 - Inside the bathtub or shower
Zone 1 - Within 0.6m of the bathtub or up to 3m above
Zone 2 - Within 2.4m of the bathtub or shower or within 0.6m but above 2.25m in height
Zone 3 Outside of these areas.

In practice providing teh light is not directly above the bath or shower it falls into Zone 3 and is fine.

The RCD protection is okay but I presume the 80A indicates it an RCD consumer unit as opposed to an individual circuit breaker?
An individual circuit breaker would provide more direct protection to the lighting circuit.

Switch outside the room is perfect.

This work is notifyable.

Sponsored Links
Belated thanks to you good people for replies. I expected to wait days for a reply, but there they were as quick as a jolt down a screwdriver.... I shall look into a seperate circuit breaker for the lights.

Desie said:
The RCD protection is okay but I presume the 80A indicates it an RCD consumer unit as opposed to an individual circuit breaker?
An individual circuit breaker would provide more direct protection to the lighting circuit.

I don't understand what you mean, Desie.

I got the impression it was a split-load CU with an 80A 30mA RCD.

The lighting circuit will be protected by a 6a MCB. The bedroom lights would not normally be on an RCD.

Bathroom lighting does not need to be on an RCD unless it or an associated fan has been (foolishly in my view) put into zones 0 or 1 and is not SELV.

So what is the extra breaker you have in mind?

Desie said:

i.e.
Zone 2 - Within 2.4m of the bathtub or shower or within 0.6m but above 2.25m in height

You got your zones a bit wrong, Desie....perhaps you'd care to recheck the regs and make a correction? :LOL:

Okay my mistake.
Zone 2 distance is measured from zone 1 not from the bathtub and the height is from teh top of the bathtub.
Happy?

I got the impression it was a split-load CU with an 80A 30mA RCD
but we don't know that.

Bathroom lighting does not need to be on an RCD
No it doesn't unles..... blah de blah.......... and we don't know where the lighting is, i.e. above a shower maybe? or how high the ceiling is, i.e. may be a converted cellar of attic space or anything.

Clarification I think is needed but caution ahead of it. Hence my comments.

Sounds to me like the guy has an RCD incomer rated at 80A/30mA.

Your zones are still up the creek, mate: see below. The zone 2 area around the sink is not part of the regs, but a recommendation made by a group of lighting manufacturers.

Zones.jpg

Spark.
Don't know which creek you're looking up.
Suggest you look at my post again. I didn't even mention a sink.

I specifically stated that the sink area being zone 2 was not part of 7671, but was recommended by lighting manufacturers.

As for your description of zones, read what you wrote again:

Desie said:

i.e.

Now, does that tally accurately with the diagram?

No, it does not!

Furthermore, what you wrote about if the light fitting is not over bath or shower then it is in Z3 is rubbish!

It can be to one side of the bath or shower and in Zone 2!

Please get your facts straight - it is very confusing for DIY'ers when they are posted misleading information.

Getting tetchy Spark!!

Now, does that tally accurately with the diagram?
No, it does not!

Accepted in my previous post.

Furthermore, what you wrote about if the light fitting is not over bath or shower then it is in Z3 is rubbish! It can be to one side of the bath or shower and in Zone 2!

Okay - Accepted. I made an assumption that it was ceiling mounted.

Please get your facts straight - it is very confusing for DIY'ers when they are posted misleading information.
How much more misleading can it be to post an image that shows a zone around a sink and then say "but that isn't a regulation only a recommendation from lighting manufacturers!"

Shall we call ita draw Spark or shall we meet at dawn pistols drawn

Desie said:
Getting tetchy Spark!!

Yes.

Accepted in my previous post.

Yes, but you did not correct all your errors.

Okay - Accepted. I made an assumption that it was ceiling mounted.

My point applies to ceiling-mounted luminaires.

How much more misleading can it be to post an image that shows a zone around a sink and then say "but that isn't a regulation only a recommendation from lighting manufacturers!"

It wasn't at all misleading - I remarked at the time I posted that diagram that the zone 2 rule around the basin was not recognised by 7671.

I've mentioned it 3 times so far - do you think I've got my point across now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back