Electrics in the USA - What tests are done for new installations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the UK where when new circuits are commissioned, a number of tests are done to ensure the safety of the circuit. Such tests consist of (but not limited to) insulation resistance tests, loop impedance tests, RCD/ELCB characteristics tests, etc...

How does that compare to the sort of tests that are done in the states when circuits are commissioned or altered?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
In the states they turn it on, if it doesn't go bang It's fine then off to hooters...:)

In the states they turn it on, if it doesn't go bang It's fine then off to hooters...:)

But I often hear about things being or not being up to "code", and was wondering what "code" entails and if it specifies certain tests. Do test meters like my Megger MFT1730 have much use in the states?

Sponsored Links
I once had a Canadian qualified electrician working with me briefly - some of his botches, which he suggested were acceptable over the pond, were quite hair raising. I would imagine Canada is similar to the USA?

To code is probably their equivalent of being to BS7671 over here.
Bearing in mind that each state will have it's own codes as well as the national ones.

From what I understand they use equipment that would be considered ancient over here and practices that would be considered dangerous over here.
The tests done over here would very likely have the same effect over there but to find out exactly what they do you would be better off asking on a US based electrical forum.

Going by this thread on reddit, not much at all for domestic work.

Some testing may be required on larger commercial contracts.

They do seem to have an unpleasantly high incidence of breakers being closed on faults and blowing up.

But I often hear about things being or not being up to "code", and was wondering what "code" entails
It's a big book called NFPA70 which describes what's required for electrical installations.

As for testing - not really. Most is inspection to confirm it complies with 'the code'.

As with everything, electrical regs in the US are fairly local. Basically each county can decide which regs to follow. Usually they pick an edition of the NEC (National Electric Code), which is updated every few years. The NEC is extremely detailed and contains plenty of design guidelines, like required number of circuits (e.g. at least two dedicated 20-amp socket radials in kitchens) or minimum number of sockets (one socket on every twelve feet of wall length if I remember correctly).

Inspections are mainly visual plus plugging in a socket tester that shows correct polarity and earth connection. In commercial setups, things like torque checks on terminals can be included, but no electrical testing whatsoever (insulation, r1, r2, loop impedance, etc.). Have a close look, turn it on, if it doesn't go bang go round with the socket tester. If that's good on all the sockets, put on a green sticker.

Sponsored Links
Back