Electrics on top of celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On building an extension, I opted for cold roof and in order to gain max thermal performance decided to not run electrics for spotlights. Now I need to add lighting such as LED track lights, is it possible to run the cable ontop of the celoxte under/in the plasterboard? The plasterboard is screwed directly onto the celotex therefore assume I need to remove a channel in the plasterboard and run the cable in conduit then skim over the top.

Is this feasible how much air gap would be required or conduit? The run is quite small to the light around 30cm or so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I tend to opt for conduit and a round conduit box for maintenance Using 1.5mm to Feed lights and channel a small amount the celotex (depending on how thick it is) given it's not that big it's hardly going to compromise the insulation.

I tend to opt for conduit and a round conduit box for maintenance Using 1.5mm to Feed lights and channel a small amount the celotex (depending on how thick it is) given it's not that big it's hardly going to compromise the insulation.

Thanks - Celotex is 40mm on top of 100mm, I could channel out some of the 40mm if required. So the question is, is it safe as the cables surrounded by insulation? And should this just be boxed in plastic conduit and then filler over the top of it?

There are derating factors to take into account when running cable through insulation hence the 1.5mm which should cover it without getting too technical, I don't think there are any cross polymerisation issues with Celotex with PVC cables (unlike polystyrene) but if it's in a small length of conduit of trunking it should be protected.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are derating factors to take into account when running cable through insulation hence the 1.5mm which should cover it without getting too technical, I don't think there are any cross polymerisation issues with Celotex with PVC cables (unlike polystyrene) but if it's in a small length of conduit of trunking it should be protected.

Thanks Chivers - I'll carry on and may uprate the cable just for peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back