Electrics question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I need a socket in a walk in cupboard.
Ive basically bought the thickest wire i could find, 10m of it, and attached a plug at one end and wired the other end into a socket with a plastic box on the back. If i plug the plug from this wire into a wall socket and plug an appliance into the box socket in another room it will work but is it safe?
It currently has a 13amp fuse in.
Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you be more specific about the specs of the "thickest wire you could find".

Also what if anything have you done to restrain the cable?

And if there is any slack is the cable coiled up somewhere? (Dangerous if using 'extension' for a heating appliance)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, it is 2.5mm Pvc cable, the wire will be clipped to the wall, around a door frame, back along a wall and into a cupboard (more of a walk in wardrobe) there will be no coils in the wire.
I need to draw around 1400w from it.

Hello. I need a socket in a walk in cupboard.
Ive basically bought the thickest wire i could find, 10m of it, and attached a plug at one end and wired the other end into a socket with a plastic box on the back. If i plug the plug from this wire into a wall socket and plug an appliance into the box socket in another room it will work but is it safe?
It currently has a 13amp fuse in.
Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

Why, why, why...

Basically you have created a spur on a plug.

If the cable runs back to a socket terminate the damn thing in to that socket rather than on a plug. You then have a standard wired spur. A spur on 2.5mm has the same capabilities as a normal socket, so you can run 2 x 13 amp sources.

Please remember to sleeve the cpc / earth in green yellow sleeve.

Out of interest why was your post headed URGENT?

Chri5 said:
If the cable runs back to a socket terminate the damn thing in to that socket rather than on a plug.

That is indeed the most elegant solution, always provided that the existing socket is not a spur already. :!: :!: :!:

~~~~ into a cupboard (more of a walk in wardrobe)~~~~~need to draw around 1400w from it.

Thats a lot of heating for a wardrobe, keep an eye out for overheating.

Make sure the heater thermostats are reliable. Maybe even a smoke / heat alarm ? ?

Why, why, why... Basically you have created a spur on a plug. If the cable runs back to a socket terminate the damn thing in to that socket rather than on a plug. You then have a standard wired spur. A spur on 2.5mm has the same capabilities as a normal socket, so you can run 2 x 13 amp sources.
True, but the question then would arise as to whether the socket in question is already a 2.5 mm² spur (off a ring or 4 mm² radial final). With the (rather messy) 'plugged in' spur the OP postulates, the same consideration probably should also apply, but would probably often be overlooked!
Please remember to sleeve the cpc / earth in green yellow sleeve.
Given that he proposes to fit a plug, I suspect (but obviously can't be sure) that the OP has bought 2.5 mm² flex - in which case your comment may confuse him a little.

Kind Regards, John

No, hang on. Just what has he done? Sounds like a widow maker - "attached a plug at one end and wired the other end into a socket".

Please tell me I've mis-understood. If not, please OP disconnect it now.

Sounds like the socket he has wired on the other end is the extension socket.

Please tell me I've mis-understood.
I believe you have, and that what he's talking about is simply just an 'extension lead', albeit clipped to walls/door frames. Apart from anything else, a 'widow-maker' would make no sense for his application.

Kind Regards, John

I think if the 1400w load is one for a considerable time eventually the fixed socket feeding it may well be come in danger of overheating

I think if the 1400w load is one for a considerable time eventually the fixed socket feeding it may well be come in danger of overheating
If, as appears to be the proposal, this 'extension' were to be plugged in (and switched on) 'permanently' (i.e. no plugging/unplugging and no operation of switch), is it very likley that it would overheat in the long-term if it didn't in the short/medium--term? The impression I get is that overheating in old sockets tends to be the consequence of mechanical 'wear'.

Kind Regards, John

~~~~ into a cupboard (more of a walk in wardrobe)~~~~~need to draw around 1400w from it.

Thats a lot of heating for a wardrobe, keep an eye out for overheating.

Make sure the heater thermostats are reliable. Maybe even a smoke / heat alarm ? ?

Wardrobe+following+the+fire+in+a+converted+bungalow+in+Freckleton,+Lancashire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back