Electrics Safety Checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently inherited a modest terraced house which I believe was constructed in the early 1900's. I am concerned about the state (safety in particular) of the electrics.

I will be getting a qualified electrician in to check safety and suggest remedial actions. In the meantime I am trying to establish what has been done and what needs to be done and what I may reasonably expect to do myself.

View media item 11763 View media item 11764
1. I suspect that the house has had a partial rewire at some time. There are 13 amp surface mounted sockets, actually fastened to the skirting boards with cable runs above the board to the sockets. Cabling runs to some switches also exposed. Overall giving me the impression of a very poor and unprofessional job whenever it was done.

2. Upstairs I noticed that the ceiling rose in each room looked to be the original with twisted pair of cables running to the light fitting. This leads me to suspect that this has not been changed since original build.

I would very much appreciate your comments/suggestions as to actions required to ensure safety etc.

Sponsored Links
It's impossible to tell what will need doing other than what we can see on the photo. So get an electrician to have a look.

The first thing he will notice will be the size of the supply earth and the meter tails. A very quick test will establish whether your earth connection is sufficient. Is that rubber cable exiting the JB at the top? Rubber cable and twisted pendant cord suggests a lighting rewire to me. Rubber is way out of date and likely to have started crumbling apart in places.

Once you've had an electrician in, talk to him about how you can help, by running cables, chopping walls etc. in order to reduce his costs. Don't do anything until you've spoken to an electrician.

I like the way the meter board spacers are on the front of the board instead of the back!

Thanks sparkyspike - I realise that the info posted was rather limited and needs a proper inspection and testing. Your thoughts seem to confirm what I was only guessing at.

I think that it is rubber cabling exiting the JB and have assumed that this probably original from the early 1900's.

My initial thoughts were that as a minimum the CU would need replacing with a modern unit and I would like to see the cabling tidied up - worst case scenario possible complete rewire!

As you suggested I do not intend to undertake any work before speaking to electrician

Sponsored Links
That looks like rubber insulated cable from the junction box dissapearing into the ceiling as well....Bad news!
I would be concerned with the incomming supply arangement as well, looks like VIR singles to me (?) with a very thin earth wire.

Thanks - I think :LOL:
I can hear the 'kerching' of somebody's till and I guess that I am heading for some serious costs to get it right and safe!

No idea what VIR singles are but can see that earth looks puny - at least to more modern installs I have seen.

Where does the householders responsibility end and the supply company begin in relation to the incoming mains?

VIR = Vulcanised Indian Rubber ( I think :) )

it's rubber cables wrapped in a cotton braiding..

nasty stuff that, like most rubber, perishes over time and goes brittle..

1) undersized tails
2) Looks like it could be TT system so lack of rcd is a major problem, cu change on the cards.
3) I'd be looking to DNO for a service hed & cutout fuse change.
4) undersized main earth conductor.
5) vri more than likely the lighting circuit, probably looking at a rewire here.

Get a periodic done.

You are responsible for everything from the meter into the property & if the DNO do not supply the earth connection thats down to you also.

As far as who is responsible for what, everything mounted on the wallboard with the meter, plus the cables coming through the wall above it is usually the responsibility of the supplier, and the CU ('fuse box') and everything connected to that is the responsibility of the householder.

The connection between the meter and the CU is yours, but requires co-operation from the supplier to replace the tails and re-seal the meter afterwards.

it's quite clearly TN-S.. there is a seperate earth wire coming in with the tails.. ( although it looks rather puny to me.. )

the main earthing conductor from the MET is sized correctly for the tails that are in.. the tails however are undersized.. ( 10mm T+E? )

time to contact the DNO for a new supply, tell them you sometimes smell a nasty smell and hear a crackling sound from the main fuse.. they should be out in a few hours ;)

Thanks guys for the additional information and the tips about DNO and new supply.

I have contacted an electrician that has done work for me in the past and he is going to undertake safety checks and advise me further.

Your help and advice very much appreciated

it's quite clearly TN-S.. there is a seperate earth wire coming in with the tails..
But do we know if it's connected to the supply cable sheath at some point, or if it just shares the route through the wall on its way to an earth rod?

Tony, the wiring does not look as old as 1900, but it's old!

The board you have was introduced in 1956 (AFAICT) and rubber cable was phased out by mid-late 60's.

If your lighting has no earth wires, then it's likely to date to prior to 1966.

Similarly, if you have no earth wires to the gas and water pipes, it is pre-'66.

By all accounts, a full rewire is likely!

Hi ss

Interesting information

Purely a guess on my part about the upstairs wiring based on the twisted pair cables running from what looks to be original plaster ceiling rose - made the assumption that this probably not touched since house was built.

Not checked lighting for earth or gas and water. My uncle owned the house from the early 70's as far as I am aware did not have any electrical work done since that time - so it could even be pre '66

I have resigned myself to the fact that a full rewire highly likely :(

have you moved in yet?

a full rewire will be cheaper if it's in an unoccupied house, and if you don't mind about re-decorating..

you don't have to put floorboards and carpets back down, or get the lights and power back on at the end of every day....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back