Electrocuted

Probably become more common now that equipotential bonding is not required when an rcd is fitted, despite rcd's having an 8% failure rate.

There's a little more to omitting supplementary bonding that ensuring all circuits are protected via a 30mA RCD.

Sponsored Links
If the there are two bits of metal, one has a fault to Live and the other a fault to neutral then anyone getting a shock from those bits of metal will not be creating an in-balance and the RCD will not trip.

If they are bonded together then the MCD will trip on overload when the second of the two faults occurs.

The inspection after the incident found 175 volts present on the taps. Relative to what ?
It did say in one report taps and waste pipe.

However it seems we now take it for granted the Nanny state will protect us and no one seems to think for themselves any more.

My accident was due in some way in expecting people to follow the rules and we did not check what a black limit switch was for as it was not a safety switch as they are red or yellow. Wrong the Germans had not followed regulations.

We see it with railings to stop people wandering onto the road then some one gets trapped wrong side of railings.

When I employed an outside firm I always included in spec that the installation was to comply with BS7671 so it became law if they didn't comply they have broke the contract. So it can all be covered without any new laws.

The accident was in the main caused by being unwilling to wait for Electrician to inspect first. I would guess even if there was a Law people would still want to jump the gun and move in before everything is completed.

Even when covered with Part P my parents had work done and continued to live in the house for the up to 30 days it takes for the paperwork to arrive saying it was complete and safe. If when inspecting the paperwork a fault was noted then my parents would have been in danger. Unless you propose that when work is done in a house the occupants should leave the house until all t's crossed and i's dotted then there is always a likely hood of errors.

So who got it wrong!
1) At some point a Plumber must have fitted the bath without bonding.
This kind of thinking is an embarassment to the electrical profession - some people always conjure ways of blaming someone else.

But it says a combination of faults so likely many others have also missed things.
Perhaps some electricians?

The no earth scenario is all too common where originally the water, gas, oil etc. would have given a property an earth. At some point work likely by non electrical personal has removed the earth.
So are there no bad electricians anywhere in the kingdom?

Sponsored Links
How long would it have taken to fit an 30mA RCD between meter and consumer units.

Can you explain what this means in simple terms for a simple reader :LOL: And if you have pictures... :LOL:

So who got it wrong!
1) At some point a Plumber must have fitted the bath without bonding.
This kind of thinking is an embarassment to the electrical profession - some people always conjure ways of blaming someone else.

But it says a combination of faults so likely many others have also missed things.
Perhaps some electricians?

The no earth scenario is all too common where originally the water, gas, oil etc. would have given a property an earth. At some point work likely by non electrical personal has removed the earth.
So are there no bad electricians anywhere in the kingdom?
OK it could be an Electrician but you and I both know that builders, plumbers, kitchen fitters and home owners all in the past would have a go. From what is said in papers an electrician was commissioned to test the house but they moved in before it was completed and plugged in a faulty appliance.
As to why they moved in before the house was ready we don't know. But we are told he was aware of some short comings on the electrical circuits but did nothing himself to protect against this but just waited for the electrician.
For someone who had no idea there was anything wrong to offer the house for rent may not be correct but understandable but for someone who admits there was something wrong to move in anyway is questionable.
Yes I know we have all done it. In 1990 I got two RCD's for my house and it took me a year to get around to fitting them. Which was due to pressure from my father-in-law who pointed out I would not forgive myself if anyone got injured and I had not done it. I was lucky no one got injured in that year and yes after that time my son did manage to trip them on a few times due to making mistakes with his Amateur Radio hobby.
In commercial premises all items are PAT tested and had his items been PAT tested the fault would have been likely found. But we don't PAT test domestic items so many be the call by coroner should have been for PAT testing to have been carried out on all items when people move them from house to house?
Even when the HSE visit a site it is common for owners to be given time to correct faults except where very bad. And when it comes down to it northing was really done wrong by either landlord or tenant it was just unlucky that the accident happened before the electrician had the time to check it.
I would say no one was really to blame. And everything was being done as it should have been. And however much we try to learn lessons from it as reported there is very little to learn as all that should have been done was commissioned to take place. And it is very hard to say they should not have moved in as we all know once the wheels start to move it is hard to delay things once one has given notice to move out of a house often you can't delay it as new tenants have found.
And now with Part P one can't so easy find Electricians willing to do work now often one has to wait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back