Electrocuted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been electrocuted (non fatally obviously, but flippin painful) by a new boiler installation on a copper pipe. Which safety body/authority should I report this to?

Boiler has been isolated and proper plumbers are en route.

Sponsored Links
As legally, the boiler would have to have been installed by a Gas Safe engineer, you can report it here.

For your information. Electrocution actually means 'Death caused by electric shock' as you have not died, you have just received an electric shock, and thankfully are still with us.

jumping to conclusions before hearing all sides and examining the evidence.How do you know its the installers fault?.Did you know he was not a "proper plumber" when you gave him the job?

Gas Safe is the first point of call.

Make sure the rectifying engineer logs everything with pictures. You'll also want him to raise a RIDDOR.

Gas Safe might lose interest once the problem has been resolved though; so make sure you speak to them first.

Sponsored Links
I once fitted a boiler which became live.
I however noticed this halfway through when i touched the stainless draining board with one hand while the other hand was touching the gas pipe.
Turns out the whole wall was live. A broken cable within a damp wall.

Lucky boy norton I once pulled an electrician off a boiler for the same reason broken wire he was hurt pretty bad lucky I was on a plank.He had to have skin graft on his hand.Bob

It was just a little buzz ob thankfully.
Had to strip the whole boiler pipes etc off the wall before i got to the bottom of it.
Firstly i thought i screwed through a wire with one of the pipeclips or boiler bracket.

could have been caused by any other work performed within your property , not just by your installer . what would worry me more is if the installer
left it like that because he was the last to work on it ( as he knew ) , but i doubt that but suppose it could happen .

I got 3 belts on one job once on a back boiler service, turned out to be an electrical fault on the washing machine!

My predicament was caused by a Worc Bosch Approved Installer sourced through their website.

Worcs Bosch sent an engineer to investigate my electric shock. This was caused by the prv pipe touching the boilers supply cable buried in the wall. The installer's drilling had stripped the insulation off the live wire.

Further investigation revealed:

Two cut and 'still' live cables in what used to be the airing cupboard in my son's bedroom (I have converted to combi)
15mm gas inlet pipe. Should be 22mm
Crushed water inlet pipe to fit around corner under sink.
Non compliant compression fitting on gas inlet.
No trace of cleansing pipe work before new boiler fitting.
No trace odour of inhibitor (sample sent for testing but engineer thinks it 100% water)
No installation test results for gas inlet pressure, water pressure or exhaust/flue readings.

The engineer spent six hours investigating and making my house safe.

The Worcs Bosch Approved scheme is a farce. It is completely toothless. It cannot guarantee good workmanship, practices or even basic safety. I am lucky to be writing this now, albeit with a numb hand wrenched shoulder.

The biggest losers are consumers and the good plumbing guys who abide by the rules.

To Durhamplumber - I have no knowledge of Gas Safe as I'm not a plumber/gas fitter. Perhaps I should've fitted it myself!

A wooster bosch approved installer is someone who fits/recommends wooster bosch. I worked for one such firm and to my knowledge (yes i asked my manager) we were never checked up by anyone from wooster. Sounds like (going on your information) had a proper clown doing your conversion. You have been unlucky because i've never come accross so many faults on one installation before (and i've seen some proper bodges). I would be going to gas safe even if its just to stop it happening to someone else. Lot of plumbers do their own electrical work, i sub all mine out to a mate (electrician).

Gigz, isn't part P still needed to do electrical work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back